LaCie or Ministack?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by itcheroni, Mar 17, 2006.

1. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

I want to add an external hard drive to my mini and can't see any real different between the ministack and the laCie drive. My only requirement is that it fits well under my mini and I think both of them do. Anyone have either of them and can offer some advice? Do they both need to be plugged into an outlet or can they get their power through the firewire drive?

2. deebster macrumors 6502

Both will need their own power source. Only 2.5" hard drives can draw their power direct from a firewire port.

For my money the ministack is much better. It offers extra USB and firewire ports, which will come in handy if you start connecting other stuff.

Take my mini (no, not literally :D ). I connect an external firewire burner and HD to it, as well as an iPod and an iPod shuffle. However, with only one firewire port I have to daisychain the HD through the DVD burner, and must unplug them to connect the iPod.

More ports is good, plus I think the ministack might even be cheaper. At least I think it is here in the 51st state.

3. Gordy macrumors 6502a

I've got the lacie mini and its great. Its a perfect match for the mini and I like the fact it seperates the heat from the mini itself.

Plus you can easily upgrade them, I've replaced the 80gb drive with a 500gb one.

4. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

That space is a deal breaker!

5. itcheroni thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input. I just went to LaCie's website and it looks like they've got an update to their HD that has extra ports, except it doesn't seem to be for sale yet. But the ministack has a 2 year warranty(I think). Tough choice.

By the way, does your DVD burner fit with your mini the way the HD does? That is, under it, making it almost like one unit?

6. itcheroni thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why's that?

7. deebster macrumors 6502

My DVD burner is a standard internal (Pioneer 110) in a plain old firewire box. Fugly, but cheap and cheerful.

Don't think I've ever seen a matching case to go under a mini as it wouldn't be big enough to fit anything than a laptop or mini-sized burner in it, and if you did that you'd probably end up paying more than a mini with an internal burner anyway.

8. deebster macrumors 6502

This deal for the older version of the ministack takes a bit of beating. You can then put in any HD you like, with the exception of a couple of Seagates that are apparently a bit too large (physically) to fit inside.

It's essentially the same as the new version, but all the ports are on the back.

Check out www.xlr8yourmac.com for their special deals at OWC, assuming of course you are in the US.

9. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Having that extra air space really does help keep things cooler... Very simple but very effective.

10. itcheroni thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, I thought it was a deal breaker against it!

11. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

I wasn't aware that "deal breaker" can be interpreted that way...

12. itcheroni thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, whenever I've heard the term "deal breaker" it usually meant that specific thing breaks the deal, as in, the deal won't be happening. So when he said it was a deal breaker, I thought that was the primary reason he would NOT buy it. Am I just being pedantic?

13. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

I think you're right.

If a feature is essential and welcome, then it "seals the deal."

Edit: For example:

"Well I fell in love with the script... that, coupled with my recent troubles with the IRS, sealed the deal!"
    -Troy McClure

14. itcheroni thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, one more question for those of you with an external hard drive. I'm planning on eventually replacing my mini with an intel mini. Can I just switch the drive over without a problem or will the files not be compatible?

15. deebster macrumors 6502

The drive will work, but it must be erased and reformatted in an Intel-friendly format before you can use it to boot your Mac mini.

I can't remember the format offhand, but I understand Disk Utility on an Intel Mac will choose the correct format by default.

16. Gordy macrumors 6502a

Pretty certain that the drive will be HTFS on either systems... Shouldn't require and changes.

17. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

The filing system is the same on PPC and Intel Macs- HFS+ (Journaled).

18. itcheroni thread starter macrumors 6502a

What's HTFS?

19. Gordy macrumors 6502a

typo sorry hfs :)

20. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Any reason that you don't want a Mini Pal? I've got a couple of them, and I like them for these reasons:

- Adds 2 firewire and 4 USB ports to my mini
    - Is identical to the mini in terms of dimensions and finish
    - Is very quiet
    - Is fast

21. itcheroni thread starter macrumors 6502a

haha, I still don't know what that is.

22. Gordy macrumors 6502a

Its a type of format for a hard drive its one of the options for a new drive on a mac..

23. deebster macrumors 6502

"Currently, there is no method to enable one external drive to boot both PowerPC- and Intel-based Macs."

Taken from this article.

I don't have an Intel Mac yet, but from reading this and other articles it seems you must reformat the volume you intend to boot from in the correct format.

Whatever, it can be done and your hardware will work for sure. Bottom line is you might have to repartition (and thereby erase) your external HD.

I think :D

24. itcheroni thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey, you guys, thanks for all your advice. I read another thread about hard drives crashing on people and got completely paranoid!

Now when you say "boot from" does that mean I might not have to erase it if I start up from the internal hard drive and then access the external hard drive after it's on? I just want to know if, let's say my mini's internal drive breaks, I can use the external drive to transfer my old files(from the external drive) onto the new computer.