Lacie or Viewsonic 19" CRT monitor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Wilson, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Wilson macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2004
    I have a little dilemma here. What would you rather have, a Lacie Electron Blue (1st Generation) or a Viewsonic P95f+b? Both are 19" CRT flat screen monitors and are both new.

Which one would you rather have? A friend wants to change his Lacie for my Viewsonic.

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says....they are both decent monitors...from my personal experience though - I had 2 viewsonic crt's before I got my 2 Samsung lcd's...both the Viewsonics required service in the first 2 years - luckily it was under warranty although I did have to pay shipping....but 2 for 2 does not seem like the greatest reliability record..perhaps it was just my luch though - when they were working they were nice monitors....oh yeah!
  3. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Apr 11, 2002
    I have a LaCie Electron Blue II monitor, and while I've never used Viewsonic before, I think this monitor is great. You can read my opinion of it on

I've had this monitor for over 2 years now with no problems other than the hood being too cheaply made and therefore sagging on the top edge. I would question why your friend want to trade his more expensive (I believe) monitor for yours.
  4. ijimk macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2004
    I in the past have owned a viewsonic monitor. It was the monitor i had before my apple cinema and it was a work horse. No problrms what so ever. I say viewsonic if you arn't going with apple.
  5. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2004
    I havn't used either, but I'd like to recommend the old Apple Studio Display, you know the 17" CRT ones. I have one spanned to my powerbook and it is great, crystal clear picture and Mac style. Also the big spider tripod base allows stuff tp be stored beneith it. It's really a great monitor, I bought mine from craigslist 'like new' for $45. They also come in 19" for barely any more. I'd think you can find them for under $100 in very nice shape.
  6. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Apr 11, 2002

Sorry, but for the sake of anyone looking at a new monitor, I must strongly disagree. I had one of these monitors, and 4 months out of it's original 12 month warranty, it crapped out. Thousands of people with these monitors had the same problem I is a defect that Apple knows about. Check out the Apple support discussion boards to read some of the horror stories.

In fact, I think Apple may be fixing these monitors for free (to an extent), since the problem got so bad. My guess would be about one in every two monitors had a failure after one year of use.
  7. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Apr 26, 2003
    Ditto Peyote's comments. Our Apple crt clunked out after great care and limited use. Not worth the cost of shipping it back and hoping for a free fix.
  8. serpico macrumors regular

Sep 19, 2004
    Vancouver, BC
    I need to agree with the poster above in regards to why your friend would want to trade. I have used my Viewsonic for over a year now and did have to send it back twice. Under warranty, the second time was b/c they didn't fix it properly the first time. The customer service was good and no complaints there. Locally I see the Lacie monitors being sold at the mac stores. Viewsonic is popular in the PC stores here. Personally, I would go LCD after saving the bucks.