LaCie Personal Network Storage

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Grimace, May 12, 2006.

1. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Has anyone used one of these personal ethernet/network drives from LaCie? I'm thinking shared music, movies, photos among a couple of computers.

2. Demoman macrumors regular

Yes, I have. In fact, I have a small fortune invested in LaCie external drives. I have a 2 PM's, a Mini,a PB and a couple Dell's I share pictures, music and especially video amongst. Initially, I installed additional FW 800 ports to one of the PM's and then mounted those volumns on the other workstations. My network is all Gigabit and the performance was fine. But, not wanting to just leave things alone, I installed a network LaCie and liked it as well. It gives me more options and I do not have to make sure the first PB is running. I just ordered the LaCie 2TB Gigabit drive. Set-up is easy, performance is great. The only downside I have ever found with the LaCie drives is some of the fans are noisy, especially their first 1TB drive.

3. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

Awesome. Do you know if the fan noise has gone down on the second generation (gigabit) of 1TB modules? I was looking at the rackmount version for around $825.

[​IMG]

4. Demoman macrumors regular

Yes, it has. I have the early 1TB sitting right next to a newer 1.2TB and (3) 500GB. The early 1TB is definitely the noisy one. The 1TB Ethernet is on my rack and does not seem to add any additional fan noise to my firewall, 2 switches and wireless endpoint, all singing in 3-part harmony.

5. budugu macrumors 6502

These are nice but the problem arrises once they crap out. I used a linkstation. They had an upgrade to the firmware and the upgrade f*cked the whole disk + the enclosure. It had some esoteric internal file format and it was a pain to get some thing to read it. Since then i have resorted to running a cheap (windows server / or Linux box) computer as a file/print server.

6. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

All hard drives can fail, so it makes sense to me to buy a respected brand and hope for the best. (I hadn't heard of the Buffalo "Linkstation" before then).

I know that in some of the larger external drives, some companies package a 500GB drive as 2x250GB inside. Does anyone know if the drives themselves are user-replaceable?

7. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Does it work fine now with intel Macs?

Can you put music on it from ITMS and access it from another machine whilst the primary machine that put the library there isn't running?

8. Demoman macrumors regular

I now that there is one that does for sure. But, there are a number of SATA/FW800 NAS devices out there now. I considered buying LaCie's before deciding on the Enternet route. They have a few different models that take various configuration (4x250, 3x500, 4x1TB, etc). These, of course are user configurable/replaceable. I did not go far enough to check which RAID levels were supported, whether the drives were stripped and hot swappable. But, they were definitely replaceable.