Lacie Porche 250GB USB won't play iMovies

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by steverob, Sep 21, 2006.

1. steverob macrumors newbie

I drag and drop iMovies to drive. They copy ok (takes forever). when I try to play the movie, I can see all of the clips,but the audio and video don't play. The progress bar moves but nothing happens. I tried all of the suggestions that Lacie gave me...nothing. Is this a Tiger issue, or do I have a bad drive?

Steve

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So do the movies work from your internal drive? Are they iMovie files or are they regular movie files? If they're regular movie files, what app are you using? Does the USB drive otherwise behave normally? :)

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

With the information you've given us, I have to say that it's a disk drive and by itself, it won't play any movies.

Now, if you could supply more information about what kind of file you're trying to play and how you're trying to play them, that would help us help you.

4. steverob thread starter macrumors newbie

I discovered the problem. The HD is USB2.0 my iMac is the model just prior to 2.0 USB integration so it's USB 1.0 ;-(

Guess it's back to Best Buy for the firewire version...

Steve

5. sturigdson macrumors regular

When I saw that, I was going to diagnose your problem right away: the drive's fine, the OS is fine, but you, my friend, are on USB 1.1 at best. Of course, I read your subsequent posts and you've already discovered that. kudos!

I do want to say that yes, you should definitely get the firewire drive. I know alot of people will use a USB 2.0 drive and find it satisfactory, but I don't- ever, unless it's just for documents or something. but even tho USB 2.0 is faster than FW400, it has a variable speed rate, so for video, you never know what you're going to get.

Also, those Porsche drives are great- I've got 2 of them and I use them all the time, but I don't use them when I EDIT video. They don't have a fan, so after extended intensive use they turn extra-toasty, and you can't cool them down. If you REALLY use them hard and long, they could even damage themselves, all because porsche didn't want to add a fan. I think for the use you described, it'll be perfectly sufficient. Much more than that [for instance, if you want to put video onto the drive, then use those files to edit movies in imovie] I'd start to reconsider the drive entirely and get a lacie D2 or Big Disk Extreme... [Firewire, of course ;) ]

Good luck