Lacie Porche drives

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dornoforpyros, Feb 6, 2005.

1. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Hey folks I'm wondering if here can tell me if leaving my lacie drive on all the time will do any damage to it?
    Ussually when I need to use it I turn it on, get what I need, eject and power down. Since I got my G5 I've found I'm doing this 3-4 times a day and I'm starting to think it would just be easier to leave it running all the time.

Anyone got any advice on this?
  2. JDar macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2003
    one opinion:

My opinion is to leave your LaCie running all the time due to the way you need to use it. I think they are made for full time running, hopefully powered by an UPS or good surge protector.

If you were depending on this drive for a vital backup, however, the drill might be to do the backup then eject it and unplug it and put it in a fireproof safe in a different building.
  3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Assmunig you can adjust thepower sabing settings for the drive so that it will spin down after, say, 20 min of inactivity then you should just leave it plugged in and mounted. If it spins constantly then it may cause it wear faster than otherwise, but sill not a huge problem.