Lacie/Porsche P3 160GB/200GB Opinions?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by emotion, Jan 5, 2005.

1. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

does anyone here have any opinions on the lacie porsche p3 external firewire drives?

i see that amazon has some horrendous reviews of these drives but the price is right and i'm assumibg that only the people have problems will post a review.

i'm leaning toward the 200GB drive at the moment (around £100) as that has a 8mb cache like the d2/extreme drives.

can anyone help?

thanks in advance.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I would buy the Lacie d2 line over the "Porsche" line any day. In fact I did - I own two d2 HDs and a d2 DVD burner and love them. Not much more expensive, MUCH better cases.

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

dont buy anything 'porsche'. 'cept cars

they designed the case, not whats inside. you're going to pay a premium for the name. stupid, in my opinion

4. emotion thread starter macrumors 68040

emotion

the name 'porsche' was putting me off really so i agree.

europeans will remember those aweful pre-VAG Seat Ibizas with the 'system porsche' engines. total junk.

5. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

I actually have a Porsche 160Gb drive and I like it. I've never had a problem with it, not to mention its a good price and seems to perform well. Whatever you do make sure you get the firewire and not the USB version, I know the price difference is tempting but firewire is much much better for harddrives.

I personally don't see the great appeal of the D2, there doesn't actually seem to be much difference between the two, apart from a little casing and I think the Porsche is nicer. I was initially planning to buy a D2 due to the reputation they seem to have but no one could offer me a reason to get one over a Porsche (apart from the triple interface which is of no use to me). When I actually got my hands on them in the shop I decided straight away to go for the Porsche it was just a much better deal. As you say there is no difference in the cache size (I think they probably use the same drive in both).

However, don't just buy it because it has Porsche on it.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Sorry, I shouldn't have knocked the Porsche ones so much. I'm sure they're fine. To me, the big plus to the d2 line is the ability to rack them (I've got a nice little desk rack with all three of my d2s in it).

However, for those of us with multiple drives, it'd be awfully damn nice if Lacie would produce a power supply with multiple ends so we wouldn't need so many darned wall warts.

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i have the porsche 160 GB FW. i agree that the d2 casing is better - it's sturdier and less flimsy.

i've had problems with partitioning and cloning. after re-zeroing the drive and never trying to clone on it, it seems to be working ok. it still has some problems mounting at times...

you may have better luck with it, though. i got the 160 GB for $125, so i'm not complaining all the time, despite some quirks i've encountered..

8. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Out of experience I would reccomend a D2 drive over the Porsche because it has a fan. We have had some customers coming into our stores with dead porsche drives because they have overheated. Touching one could scald your hands, so I am leary of the porsche seires. Go for a D2.