LaCie SilverScreen

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by XIII, Jun 17, 2005.

1. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Does anyone here have a LaCie silverscreen? How does it play back non .iso video, like .avi, and .mpeg? I'm thinking of getting one. Thanks all.

2. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I've never heard of the product, but I went to their website and learned this.

Compatible with DivX (home theatre) and Dolby® Digital or DTS quality audio, there’s no compromise on quality with home theaters. Share home-movies and photos with friends and family, or use it for exhibitions, promotions, and delivering rough cuts to clients. The LaCie silverscreen’s user-friendly interface and remote control provide for an easy set-up. The VOD (Video On-Demand) feature allows you to go online to rent or buy DivX® VOD movies from the DivX® website. Build your own virtual library of up to 80 MPEG4 DivX movies, 15 MPEG-2 DVD movies* or up to 80,000 photos* or nearly 20,000 MP3s* music and carry them with you anywhere.

What format is .mpeg? by.avi I assume you mean MPEG4 kinda content, like divx and h.264. It will obviously play divx, but I wouldn't count on h.264 anytime soon. Why do you need a product like this?

3. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

I have a lot of video in .avi format, and have been through hell trying to get it to burn to DVD to watch on TV. This seems like it would do that job. I know it says it supports .avi, but I am not really sure if it works as I need it to.. iCreate gave it a pretty poor review.

Thanks.

4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

interesting
    buy something I own Phillips DVP642 DVD player it plays DivX files and lots of other crap. I'm not saying it will play everything (you never said what codec your .avi's were) but it plays a lot. Then just burn your stuff as a data disk and pop it in.

5. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

Really? That sounds very cool. I have no idea what codec my .avi's are, I'm sorry.. Just TV shows etc. So with this DVD player, do you burn as Mac data discs, or Windows and Mac? I will be looking more into this, thanks!