LaCie Switching between Firewire and USB 2

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by itchster, May 30, 2005.

1. itchster macrumors member

hi

I have a LaCie 40 gig Portable External HDD that is connected up to the iBook via Firewire.

As i only have 1 Firewire port i want to connect my iPod mini to that port and my LaCie to a USB 2 port simple you say? no its not

The mac Refuses to mount the LaCie via USB 2 even if the system profiler lists it, but disk utility does not. I have tried everything i can think of different USB cables, formatting it god knows how many times. It works over Firewire fine no problems. Even my PC (with MacDrive) will read it via USB 2!

any ideas?

2. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Is it getting enough power through the USB port on your iBook? Have you tried using it on your iBook with the external power supply hooked up?

3. itchster thread starter macrumors member

tried that, it even has a USB power lead (seperate from the Data lead) tried that and nothing. This is seriously irritating!

4. russed macrumors 68000

russed

have you looked in disk utility to see if it can see it in there - and so then trying to mount it that way?

have you got the latest firmware for it available from lacie's sitE?

5. itchster thread starter macrumors member

after a little digging around for the box, i fount it, and in it was a USB power lead, so pluged this in to a powered hub, and the usb data cable i suppose into same hub and, it works!

The morale of this story? LaCie Drives over USB on iBook's need tones of power! :D