Lack of Apple product documentation

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by musicpyrite, Aug 26, 2004.

1. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Is it just me, or does it seem like Apple doesn't give enough information on their products?

I'll give you a couple of examples: the other day, I was trying to find out what kind of APG slot the PowerBooks had, 2x, 4x, or 8x, ect. I looked all over Apple.com to find the answers, but i couldn't find them. I finally had to resort to Google to get the answer. (4x AGP by the way)

Other examples include finding the:
    RPM speed of an iPod hard drive
    total cache of the iPod hard drive
    total cache of the entire iBook/PowerBook/iMac/eMac/PowerMac line
    the frequency of the AirPort Basestation/Extreme
    the manufacturer of iBook/PowerBook/iMac/eMac/PowerMac's RAM
    the cas latency of the iBook/PowerBook/iMac/eMac/PowerMac's RAM
    the size of the RAM cache in the iPod

Another example would be the ability to hot-swap the 15" and 17" PowerBook's batteries. If it weren't for these forums, I would have never have known that. I bet that there are many people out there that don't know that their PowerBook can do that. I mean, if Apple is going to spend money developing hot-swappable batteries, they might as well advertise it.

So I'm going to sit back, and let the good people of macrumors speak their mind: Does Apple provide sufficient documentation with their products?

(and I'm sorry if I've put this in the wrong forum, I wasn't really sure which one to put it in)

2. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

You mean like this?

It's all there, you just have to dig deep for it. I'd know since I couldn't find anything under searches for kernel panics then I came across another doc that linked me to a KP FAQ... the docs are there, they're just not easily accessible.

Though some things like RAM manufacturers and CAS latency may not be... I don't think they'd want to divulge that kind of info.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If it's not in here...

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/hardware2.html

or in the marketing tech specs, then Apple is most likely using multiple vendors for a device (so things like HD/optical drive cache will vary).

Airport is a standard, so the frequencies are available at the standard site.

Memory is also like the drives, Apple is selling you a size -- not a vendor and/or CAS latency.

4. musicpyrite thread starter macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Thanks vraxtus and Sun Baked for the info, I was having problems, but I still don't like the fact that I have to dig to get any kind of serous technical info. If Apple can make something like Spotlight to advanced, they better apply that to their support site, because their search thing sucks.
    So basically your telling me that a certain PowerBook will be faster/better/more reliable that another one ordered only a few days apart?

Will my nextdoor neighbor have RAM with a cas latency of 2.5 while I get a slower 3.0? The same applies to hard drive cache, I've heard stories of people getting 16MB caches on their PowerBook's, but others only have 8MB or 2MB.

Bottomline, I just wish Apple would be a little more upfront about their tech specs, I don't want to have to dig through page after page on the support site to find something simple like ammount of cache.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's whatever their minimum spec is that they send out to the vendors for bid.

We do know that Apple uses multiple vendors for optical, HDs, and memory.

So we really don't know what we'll get until we open the box.

If Apple really started advertising cache sizes, they'd be locking themselves into a vendor for a model -- and Apple really hasn't had good luck lately with their vendors, so the ability to replace them at any time is a big plus.