Lack of good sci-fi

Discussion in 'Community' started by Durandal7, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Is it just me or does sci-fi on TV suck nowadays? The only sci-fi shows I bother to watch anymore are Stargate SG-1 and Enterprise. All the syndicated shows are pretty bad and the sci-fi channel has killed the Farscape and Babylon 5 franchises. Even worse Red Dwarf hasn't turned out a new show in years (though the movie is coming)

2. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i'm not sure if tv will ever be the best venue for scifi. the scifi channel has pretty much dominated this niche and done well, but books and movies are probably the most targeted mediums for the genre.

sidenote: david fincher will be directing arthur c. clarke's "rendevouz with rama" in 2003, sounds like a must see already :D

3. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

Most likely, but I long for the glory days of Babylon 5 and Star Trek.

Sadly the Sci-fi channel plans to move away from shows involving sci-fi and more towards horror. This is part of why Farscape was scrapped and the B5 spin-off was aborted :(

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Go to your local DVD rental store and pick up 2001: A Space Odyssey and watch it a couple hundred times... there should be something good out by then...

irmongoose

5. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

DVD is the ultimate medium for 2001. It lets you FF at 16x or greater past those long, wish you were on drugs, dialog-less scenes spread throughout the movie. Like the end, when Poule goes through the monolith and SK spends 10 minutes playing with color filters with helicopter images flying across the desert. BORING.
    I am sure that when it first came out, it was interesting, but the more I watch 2001, the less I want to see it again at normal speed the entire way through.

As for SciFi on TV, I have to say that any Trek after NG failed to capture my interest. Sure I will watch an episode every know and then, but as a friend and I were just saying yesterday, time to give Rick Berman the Heave-Ho.

One of my favorite shows on now is C.S.I. Imagine that it is set in 2050 and it can be SciFi. Actually with all the Science in the fictional show, heck, call it scifi.

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

hehe... true, true...

irmongoose

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I was just in Best Buy and you can get the whole series, which was much longer than anything I could imagine, but I don't think I'd do that myself.

But as for tv sci-fi - its cyclic, something new will come along, just give it time. Rigth now, I'm not watching anything on a regular basis, its all getting too old and tired, we need some new stuff.

8. diorio macrumors 6502a

I agree that good Sci Fi shows are hard to find. I find Enterprise to be a good show, even one of the best series of Star Trek. It seems that stupid sitcoms rule over all else.

9. moby1 macrumors 6502

On DVD...

The first 32 episodes of "The Outer Limits" (original series) are now available on DVD. I've been watching it this week. Almost every episode is a classsic, great stuff!

moby1

p.s. Looking forward to "Rendezvous with Rama"!

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I too am definitely looking forward to Rama.

I have kind of wondered where the Sci-Fi and Fantasy shows have gone. Farscape is gone. Hercules is Gone we get Andromeda instead of Hercules give me a break.

Seem like as the years go by budgets are getting smaller and smaller. That was the great thing about Farscape. It had fantastic make-up and special effects.

11. dreamlance macrumors regular

"There are no new stories, only new ways of telling them." Seems like we can't come up with anything new. Smaller budgets seem to be in store more nowadays too.

*misses Star Trek and B5 too...*

12. Wash!! macrumors 6502

You must look overseas for good sci-fi

I love japanese animation and they wonderful animated series (no..no just DBZ) and movies that are far better that some live action if you don't mind reading subtitles.

cheers!!
    :D

13. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

TV, in general, sucks.

Like the radio, TV pretty much sucks, with only a few bright spots. I don't think it's just a lack of good sci-fi, but a lack of creativity all around. Sitcoms, too, suffer from adolescent writers with absolutely no imagination.

So many movies follow formulas, predictable layouts that have been used and re-used. Why? Because it's easy and provides a quick $50 million. Then you have completely moronic flicks like Armageddon, which don't follow any formula I can think of, but are solely dependent on eye candy to keep them going.

Cable, with its hundreds of channels, has nothing to watch (same goes for the radio). I'd say the market has a vacuum ready to be filled by someone (or some people) who are genuinely interested in telling intelligent and thoughtful stories.

Now the 60s... that was an era of great television, the time when many shows that we still watch today were created. Some great examples (*I* think) include The Munsters, I Dream of Jeanie, Gilligan's Island, The Addams Family, Dick Van Dyke, Get Smart, Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Star Trek... geez... and there are more I can not think of at the moment.

I remember back in the 80s only a few shows that really caught my interest: Star Trek, Cheers and Family Ties.

In the 90s... sheesh... I can't think of anything at the moment.

There are a handful of shows I try to watch now, like the Dead Zone, Twilight Zone, Enterprise, Smallville, and that's about it.

14. Wash!! macrumors 6502

Don't forget Dr.Who

That is a clasic by itself one of the most clever shows made.

15. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

"the prisoner" was the best show out of the sixties and probably out of any era, definately my favorite (although i was not alive during the sixties, so my perception may be skewed :D ). not really sci-fi, but incredible depth and intrigue. everything seems to be lacking creativity recently, but you have to keep in mind that we weigh the masterpieces of all human existance against what is being produced right now, which will obviously make the present appear to be a little lackluster. rennaisances are rather infrequent, but we should not just sit by passively, maybe it's up to the intelligent minds on the macrumors boards to push cinema, television, and literature to new heights. who knows...

16. Wash!! macrumors 6502

The avengers

Not really sci-fi but a very well written show
    The problem is that most american viewers are mindless drone and anything the involds think it gets kill.

cheers

17. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

There are Some good Sci-Fi's out, just that they killed MOST OF THEM.
    Now you are offered a Myster science theater 3000 or um... SG-1 on SCI-FI.
    Well look for some good Anime's. They aren't hard to find at all :)
    Stupid people killed Farscape...erg.

18. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

Man, have we all forgotten the "X-Files" so quickly? Yeah, they should've ended the series without going to new characters but that was just greed on part of the network.
    "The Pretender" was a good show but now Fox has "John Doe" to take it's place. I always liked the idea of a genius on the run.
    The last truly original piece of television to me was "Twin Peaks". Now that was something to tune into. Everything else on right now is pretty much crap. No new ideas. Cliche after cliche.
    Then there is "Smallville". I was skeptical as Hell when I first heard of it--Superman the early years?-- but I watched it and said, this isn't bad. In fact, it's one of the better productions on right now.
    I'd love to see a new series from Mainframe Entertainment. Something that truly pushes the envelope. They've got the technical know-how but technical brilliance is nothing without a good story--ahem, "Final Fantasy". They make "Roughnecks" and the "Transformers" which appeal to a wide audience. I'd have great hopes for them.

19. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yea, the X-Files was one of the few bright spots in sci-fi over the years. I didn't really like the finale, it just seemed like a clip show of the series. I wasn't too happy about the Lone Gunmen getting killed off either...

20. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

Anything that involves proper english must be an issue for you as well. Look, X-Files was a great show with great writing. And it lasted for 8 or 9 years. Great testament to the mindlessness of the American viewer.

It has nothing to do with the viewer, as the foolishness on TV usually doesn't last too long. The foolish are those who produce this nonsense.

Wow!! How could I have forgotten that classic from the 90s??

Ditto.

21. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

That's not true! That's impossible!!

Search your feelings!! You KNOW this to be true!!

NNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

As a Christian, I have my views on the universe and reality. But Durandal7 makes an interesting statement in his quote:

But from Durandal's point of view, which would have come first: the consciousness or the reality?

23. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

From an esoteric prespective manifestation and observational awareness are simultanious and mutually dependant. The philosophy of being is quite clear: Any object, particle, animal, etc. exists because it simultaniously WANTS to exist and observes it's existence. In that context there is no Chicken-and-Egg equation.... there is only poultry protien.;)

24. Wash!! macrumors 6502

No really I'm just very sloppy on the keyboard plus the fact I'm reading these posts at work and do not have time to check spelling or grammar.

:D:D

25. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Dont kill me, but I love smallville, the only show I really make I sure I watch all week