Lack of last name in texts is annoying and pointless

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by furam90, Aug 16, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Why in gods name do they feel they have to remove the persons last name or last name initial in a text message?

As someone who has friends with common names like Mike, Tom, Kelly etc it's so damn annoying that sometimes I have to go through my messages to see who I'm texting. Just leave the god damn last name or last initial there!

Sure this is a minor issue, but was it really an aesthetic issue to have the last name there? What was the point in changing something that wasn't broken , but better?

The UI should be about displaying relevant information quickly. To me this is another example of Jonny Ive going overboard in his simplicity obsession and taking away from that. Just such a pointless and annoying change.

If you want to get rid of the name why not join the 21st century and let there be a picture of the contact in the Message UI?

2. macrumors 6502

skwood

This is an option you can easily change in Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Short Name

It's just in the later betas the default has been changed is all.

3. macrumors 6502

Thanks! I had no idea about this :)

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks that was driving me insane!

5. macrumors 6502

skwood

6. macrumors 68000

Defender2010

Perhaps having a look in the settings app before mouthing off and saving us all from your insanity is a smart idea next time?

7. macrumors 601

Why would someone look in Mail, Contacts & Calendar settings to change a text message setting?

8. macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

No, it's better to blame Apple and their inferior minds for being so stupid.

----------

Because it's related to contacts? :confused:

9. macrumors newbie

help required please

ive got a macbookm and mac i installed crossover and tried downloading esignal on both my mac and macbook but it wont download and come up with runtime error and doesnt download :-( i would be very grateful if someone could help :)

10. macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Because anything that concerns names falls under Contacts that's why.

11. macrumors 601

No it isn't.

Mail, Contacts & Calendar

Every one of the above things is an app in its' own right. I wouldn't necessarily think to look in that part of the settings unless I wanted to change something to do with one of those three apps.

That short name option would make more sense in general!

12. macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Any application that uses contacts goes through Contacts.
    There is an unique place where they get stored and managed, and that is within Contacts. Makes sense to have contacts related options in the Contacts section.
    :confused:

13. macrumors 601

Short names isn't really a contacts option though, it's a display option. All it does it change how names are displayed.

14. macrumors 68000

Defender2010

ummm,,,,contacts? Perhaps?

15. macrumors 6502a

No wonder Apple consumers have a reputation for arrogance.

Regardless of where the setting is, the thread starter raised a concern about something where the fix wasn't necessarily obvious.

So maybe, drop the attitude towards them?

16. macrumors regular

Let us know if you need more paper towels to wipe the egg off your face. :D

17. macrumors 6502a

Parise

This is why many hate this community.

This is not a "contacts" option considering my contacts app still shows full name even after selecting short name. This is a messages contact display option. Guess what? So does my mail app!

It's fun to watch how some of you would defend this company to the death.

18. macrumors 601

I beg to differ.

The option doesn't change how contacts are displayed in the contacts app - only throughout the rest of the OS. It's more like an anti-contact option than a contact option.

It should be in general.

Thanks for clearing that up, your contribution is invaluable :rolleyes:

19. macrumors 6502

I personally think the attitudes in the responses directly relate to the extremely negative attitude of the original poster. That same question could have been asked in many different more pleasant ways.

20. macrumors 68000

I love the option. If you don't just turn it off.

Honestly it's not that big of a deal even. I have the option on, and you still see full names in Messages until you go into the specific conversation.

21. macrumors 6502a

I disagree. It wasn't posted as a question, it was a statement. A rant at Apple, about something they believed could not be resolved by the flick of setting. The responses, with the exception of the one that kindly pointed out it could be fixed, talked down to the poster like they were some second rate citizen.

22. macrumors member

I'm glad it was brought up...just not a fan of the way it was. The issue would've bugged me too but the approach was very hostile.

23. macrumors 68030

cmChimera

Lol. You are trying so hard. An "anti-contact option."

24. furam90, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013

thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know why everyone's saying my OP was rude or hostile. Maybe a little irritated but I didn't insult anybody or call other people names. I said something is annoying (which it is) and all hell breaks lose. Some of you need to take a look in the mirror. Thanks to everyone who responded kindly.

I think the setting should be in messages rather than mail and contacts, that is pretty confusing.

25. macrumors 601

You know it makes sense ;)