Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
No it's actually vector based with image rendering. You only have to look at the way it blocks when you zoom in. It renders image tiles on the fly.

Or it is vector based or it is image based, it can't be both. And yes, vector tiles are rendered on the fly, this is way they are vectors.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Flawlessly? It's an abomination. It takes forever to lock on and recalculate and it's never clear when to take a turn. It also lags behind considerably.

It might be different on the 5s but my exerience with Maps as turn by turn satnav is horrible. I prefer my Garmin with lane assists. It also actually zooms in when you're about to take a turn and it doesn't lag behind.

This whole thread should begin with.

In my opinion, where I live ( xxxxxx ) because it clearly matters a whole lot.

I have only a few issue with it now in the UK. But none with Turn by turn on an iPhone5 works great. Can only suggest your carrier is slow with that data - doesn't matter if you are on 4g.. depends how they route it.

Zero Lag around here. Much faster then my 2 year old dedicated Garmin.

----------

Or it is vector based or it is image based, it can't be both. And yes, vector tiles are rendered on the fly, this is way they are vectors.

Yes it can. The maps are vector on the server side and they farm out rendered tiles. You intact just said that!!?!

Apples clients side is pure vector for the normal and overlaid view. there is no server > Client raster rendering going on.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
This whole thread should begin with.

In my opinion, where I live ( xxxxxx ) because it clearly matters a whole lot.

I have only a few issue with it now in the UK. But none with Turn by turn on an iPhone5 works great. Can only suggest your carrier is slow with that data - doesn't matter if you are on 4g.. depends how they route it.

Zero Lag around here. Much faster then my 2 year old dedicated Garmin.

----------

Yes it can. The maps are vector on the server side and they farm out rendered tiles. You intact just said that!!?!

Apples clients side is pure vector for the normal and overlaid view. there is no server > Client raster rendering going on.

Vector based is when it is client side and Google Maps is client side vector based. They don't send a tender rile, they send the vectors.

What app are you looking at?

dragicon

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2014
For anybody who is talking about how good apple maps is.... that might be the case in the states.... But check out the maps in China.... It is unbelievable how non-existent they are. Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Beijing, and Shanghai are passable. Every other area of the country doesn't even have major highways! They keep talking about trying to get into china's market, but they don't even show China that they are serious about it.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I don't think it's that poor. It's just that Google Maps is so good The level of detail and accuracy Google has around the world is almost impossible to catch up to. But honestly, when you compare Apple Maps to alternatives such as Bing, Nokia Here, TomTom, Garmin or MapQuest maps, you'll see that Apple Maps is not worse than all of those. So buying another company doesn't really solve anything, unless you buy Google.

Maybe in your area, but in my area Apple maps will drive you in a circle at random times, or up a 40° incline just to have you stay off the main road (that you want to be on). Meanwhile Here Maps (aka Nokia's Navteq) functions perfectly. Basically what I'm saying is that yes, Apple maps really is that bad.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Apple knows you don't put out things that are not ready for prime time. Cook said it himself but does not follow his own advise.
Maps was a huge mistake from the beginning.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
For too many others, it does not work fine and that's the issue they're unable to increase the accuracy of the product never mind update it with new features.

Still that bad huh? Well I guess it's an issue since Apple won't let you change default apps.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
In my opinion these are the biggest issues with Apple maps listed by importance:

1. Needs more POI data and cross referencing similar terms in search doesn't work. You have to be very specific with what you want which means it's more difficult to quickly find what you're looking for.
  2. Visual designers need to overhaul the appearance of the maps themselves so that they are more legible and clear
  3. Apple needs to frequently update new addresses and routing info. Couldn't even find my sister's new apartment which was built two years ago.
  4. Apple needs an equivalent of street view, which can sometimes be fairly useful
  5. Vector maps need more detail, such as the detailed outlines Google Maps has for college campuses (buildings, walkways, etc)
  6. Google maps has 3D data for the small college town I live in (Columbia, MO population 115,000), but Apple Maps doesn't even have 3D mapping data for Kansas City or St. Louis yet. It's last on my list but still important to get more cities in 3D.

For all those complaining about Apple moving to maps before they were ready, just remember the state that iOS Google Maps were in before Apple kicked them out of the core OS. Google kept giving cool updates to the Android version such as turn by turn directions, vector mapping, offline maps and more while the iOS version languished. And Google had even publicly promised that those were eventually coming but as time went by nothing happened. Apple had to do something, and a big part of the Siri unveil in iOS 6 was turn by turn directions. Then later Google unveils their new maps app on the App Store which had all these new features. They were holding back to push Android, which they reserve the right to do. But Apple also reserves the right to build their own service. Unfortunately they kinda botched it. Hopefully they are learning from their mistakes. Sounds like they are seriously lacking leadership over that team. It should be a top priority for them going forward.

iOS 8 seems feature complete to me aside from being able to set default applications for apps like mail, calendar, browser, etc and a couple other small items. They need to really work on the quality of services now. I have a feeling iOS 9 is going to be all about service improvements and iCloud, along with optimizing iOS itself to be faster than ever and battery efficient, integrating their mobile payment system, while tweaking the software to make it easier to get things done—especially in the cloud.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
Satellite or hybrid mode is still just as bad with major blockage of clouds. It's been years now Apple!

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
There are very few times I think it's fair to say that the company uniquely misses Steve Jobs, but every once in a while they need someone to walk into a room and go, "Then why the **** doesn't it do that?"

I think this ^ is spot on. A hammer isn't always the best solution but you have to wonder if Steve Jobs' leadership is needed here.

That aside, I wonder if their perceived lack of interest in fixing Maps is based on market research and how often the average user is using Maps. I would guess that most users do not use Maps very often. They said at WWDC that Messages is the most used app on iOS. I would guess after that it's probably Safari, Mail, Phone, Music, Camera, and third-party apps like Facebook and Twitter. I wonder where on the list you would find Maps based on the average user. Not that it excuses Maps' problems, especially since one can argue that getting completely wrong directions can be very disruptive or even dangerous. However, it is possible that they've decided Maps isn't effecting the user's experience negatively enough to make it a priority.

Since Day One

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2014
User experience

Ping, Maps, Beats

No one needs these things from APPLE!!!!

Leave it to the experts, and focus on what APPLE is good at!
Bring us a new hardware more often!

Apple needs to ensure that it has a complete and fluid user experience, that's why they need to get into maps. 'Ping' was admittedly unnecessary and Beats I wouldn't like to comment on until I've seen it run it's course, but maps are essential. I don't hate Google, and I use third party apps, but I want to see that Apple feel across all my essential apps and Maps is one of those.

wouwout

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
Sydney
Apple's track record for Maps is extremely poor and is very un-apple like. At this stage, they would be better off killing the project and going with another company (other then google since they don't want that).

I disagree. Apple's track record for software (services) is terrible and Maps fits right into this mess. Rememeber MobileMe, Ping, Numbers/Pages (both meh), the confusing mess iTunes has become, iTunes Radio is in 2 countries only, and now we can see Beats going down the drain as well. And Apple's professional software? Don't get me started.

Please Apple let me set Google Maps as a full default in iOS 8, so it shows up when apps use a map in stead of Apple Maps.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
We don't know if it's programmers quitting or not. The TechCrunch story has two anonymous sources that dispute each other:
"It’s a take that is both contested and corroborated by our other source. “I would say that planning, project management and internal politics issues were a much more significant contributor to the failure to complete projects than developers leaving the group,” the source said."

That's not exactly sources being in dispute with each other. That's one source saying that both issues were present but developer defection was less a factor than planning, pm, and politics. Whatever the reason, Maps needs improvement. I think if Apple feels Maps is an essential part of the iOS ecosystem they will dedicate the resources to make it better.

jweinraub

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Sol III
Strategically, I can't help feeling that Apple should get closer to Microsoft - yes Microsoft - and pool its resources with both Maps and Search. This might be the only way to defeat the increasingly evil behemoth that is Google.

Bing maps are absolute rubbish. They are just plain fugly not just on retina displays but on every other website that sleeps with MS as well (weather channel). I really like Google Maps. Their response in fixing errors is usually no more than 48 hours. And I get a personal email. There is a street parallel to mine, that has been wrong on Apple maps forever. Google was wrong too, they fixed it immediately, Apple nope. Despite the frequent fix button I press, nothing. Eventually I emailed Tim Cook saying this is truly awful how this is being handled. While I didn't get a response from him, he did forward it to the appropriate personnel and they apologised but it has been still several months and while if I do reply back I do get a response I get the usual politician-like canned response that doesn't answer anything.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Can apple just let us default to google maps and be done with it?

That would solve everything

We don't use apple maps because it's not good.

Spetsnazos

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
It works in SoCal. I use Apple Maps all the time because the turn-by-turn and the UI is cleaner.

But if I'm going somewhere I've never been before and I am late and don't want to get lost, I always use Google maps. I know Google maps will be 100% accurate.

fumi2014

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
California
Apple have untold resources in both money and people. There is no reason that Maps should still be so awful after so long a time.

It just goes to prove that no company can be best at everything - even if they have billions of dollars.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The google cars are collecting Streetview photography (and illegally scanning wifi). Now, considering that Apple don't have Streetview, you can sorta see why there are no Apple cars.

Have you ever seen a Google iPhone? No, because they are years behind making iPhones (this is essentially the same argument that you bought to the table).

Those cars drive on actual street, images or not they are collecting upto date street data.

It's called android .

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Why does anyone really care ? There are other good options besides Apple maps if you don't like Apple maps. Besides, would we have really seen any improvement in competitors to Apple maps if Apple hadn't released Apple maps ?

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Apple have untold resources in both money and people. There is no reason that Maps should still be so awful after so long a time.

It just goes to prove that no company can be best at everything - even if they have billions of dollars.

It's not about how much money you have, it's about how much money you want to allocate on a project.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.