Lack of Memory RAM=more fan noise

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 1rottenapple, Oct 24, 2005.

1. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I am noticing that since I have an ibook with 256mb of ram, and a HD almost full (11 left out of 60gb) that when I wake my computer from a sleep, the fan comes on. It never used to do this before. The fan would turn on for about 20 seconds, then it turns off. I was just wondering if I should be worried, or is the noise the way an ibook indicated it needs more ram. (I really need to buy Ram, I know).

2. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I'd say chances are very good it is because of your limited RAM. I thought I was bad with 512 MB... 256? Yep, time for an upgrade. ;)

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, yeah -- because your OS has to constantly use the scratch disk files on th hard drive, the hard drive can never sleep - it's getting thrashed all the time = more heat = fans on = battery life sux.

More RAM = sleepy hard drive = cooler = more better battery.

Next step is to clear som more room on the hard drive -- 11 Gb is not dire yet, but some spring cleaning would not be amiss. Get delocalizer from www.versiontracker.com if you haven't already, this can save 600 - 900 Mb in space occupied by unused foreign language OS support.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

4. 1rottenapple thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys or gals.

You gotta hand it to OSX, even with 256 mb it is still stable and doesn't crash unlike the pcs at work!