Lack of Motivation....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Stridder44, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2003
    Im really trying to understand how to be more persistent (motivated). I feel like I could do amazing things in my life and in others if only I had a more persistent attitude. My long-time friend recently joined the Air Force and when we were talking for the first time after he had been through basic and whatnot, he told me that if nothing else the military made him highly motivated to do things.

Now the military is not something I'm thinking of going into by any means, but I would love to go through something that could change my motivation. Do you know of anything at all that could help? Books, courses, people, anything. I just want to put this weakness out of my life forever.
  2. echeck macrumors 68000

Apr 20, 2004
    Boise, Idaho
    It's more of a frame of mind than anything else.

I'm a firm believer in that if someone wants to change bad enough, they'll change.

But as far as books go, I think you would need to narrow down your goals a little more. Being motivated in general is something, but if you were you focus in on one aspect of your life (career, finances, etc...) then you would likely have more tangible success.
  3. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    I find it's hard to get motivated also, unless it is for a job or school. I guess "self motivation" is a problem for me. I'm an art student and I work my ass off on my projects and regular schoolwork. When I'm on break, like right now, I don't really do anything. When I'm in school, I say I'm goin to do all this stuff, but when the time comes I just sit around. I know I'm capable of so much more cause I've experienced it through school, at home it just doesn't happen.

I start all these art projects at home and they never get done, cause I don't have a deadline for any of them... I dunno, I'm in the same spot you are.
  4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    It helps to have a definite goal set for yourself. I find I'm usually loathe to do anything unless I've set up some sort of end result I want.
  5. sushi Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    Agree. I think that this is key to improving yourself regardless of what you want to do.
  6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

Jan 25, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    I think this tends to be a problem for some artists and others who are big on the ideas but get bogged down when it gets to the details. I know many people who will tell me some awesome concept for some sculpture or design or story they have, then I'll ask them how it's going and they'll shrug it off and tell me the next idea they are working on.

I'm sure I'm the same way with some things too and everyone is like that to some extent. Most of us have our garages that were going to get cleaned out last summer or the next great american novel that never gets started.

I agree, it's mainly a frame of mind. Motivation's arch-nemesis is distraction from your task. The problem for creative types is that they never know if their next inspiration lies inside that distraction until it's too late.
  7. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    For me, it was finding something I was, and am, truly interested in to become a more goal-oriented person. I always wanted to be a teacher. However, I just trudged my way through several jobs in the business world: business owner, financial reporting for a large corporation, fund-raiser, bookkeeper. None of those were fulfilling, and I became very unhappy. Finally, I returned to school to work on a Masters in teaching so I can teach high school. I've never been happier, nor found more motivation to prepare for each day ahead!

It's just like reading a book. You won't read it unless it interests you.
  8. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

Jan 20, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I to find it hard to get motivated, and like your friend I am joining the military :eek: I feel that through military discipline I will learn a lot about my character. Also I'm attending university and getting paid for it, so I'm hoping this will be enough motivation to actually study. Although this will not occur till July.

But really, you have got to want it, to be motivated. Find something you are passionate about and do it. I also find that you need to set you limits lower as trying to get motivated for many tasks is difficult, limit it to 1 or 2.
  9. nospleen macrumors 68000

Dec 8, 2002
  10. Quboid macrumors 6502

Oct 16, 2006
    Look at the movie Goal, and Miracle.

Start working out a bit, if you're up to it. Sit ups, and Push ups. One more everyday. You'll be amazed.