Ladies and gentlemen, start your guessing...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nermal, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A recent interview on Inside Mac Games featured this from an Aspyr employee:

It took over a year to negotiate a title we'll announce next month. The fastest one was within 20 days. The 20 day'ers we like, but usually take dirty cash to complete:)

Any guesses? I think this might finally be a release of Liver and Onions.

2. applekid macrumors 68020

Could be the fabled Liver and Onions, but I don't believe it. I think Liver and Onions are just a few expansions to current games. They were ported very quickly and stuck at FC. AoM Titans and RoN Thrones and Patriots are good possibilities, however, it's almost official that the RoN we're getting will be a Gold edition which includes the original game and expansion (source)

It must be a game that's a really big deal. Let's think about what game came out last year next month...

My thoughts: Around this time last year, Halo was the big game for us (more like December though). This year, there's Half Life 2 and Halo 2. Halo 2 hasn't had confirmation of a PC port, but would be nice to dream of a Mac exclusive port :) However, Half Life 2 has a good possibility of being ported, but the licensing fee they were asking for was outrageous. If Aspyr somehow worked something out, we may see Half Life 2. However, HL 2 doesn't even have a solid release date on the PC!

FarCry? GTA series? An EA Sports game?

I really can't tell what it is. :(

(odd how the IMG folks aren't all over this one)

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

4. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I would really enjoy it if it were city of heros. I always wanted to try that game but would not use my old pc rig to game. I doubt it but i can dream can't i? :rolleyes:

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

does Aspyr only do ports? if not i was thinking maybe they are the ones who are Doing Doom 3 for mac?

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

If it's counter-strike, I'm going to pee my pants and jump around like a bunny.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They did both Mac and PC versions of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 but that's about it.

I can't imagine id software letting anyone else work on Doom 3.

Half-Life 2 is a possibility, esp. since the source code was previewed. :D

8. CannonFodder macrumors member

Actually iD is coding the Mac version of Doom 3 themselves... While Aspyr could publish it, and has the best shot at getting the license, they wouldn't be doing the coding.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

still it could be the announcement that Aspyr is publishing Doom3 i could see that taking a year to work through

10. Dalriada macrumors 6502

Heroes of Might and Magic V..... sorry only dreaming :rolleyes:

11. applekid macrumors 68020

The game in question should be out in November if it's "next month." I don't think it's Men of Valor. And there's no word in the press release about it taking a year.

Keep on guessing.

12. Atheist_Peace macrumors newbie

Hmm.. I may have lost something along the way, or maybe I'm ignorant.. but.. why not The Sims 2? I know Aspyr ported The Sims and all its expansions, and if I remember well they announced all of them 1-3 months after the PC version came out. I'm just trying to guess.. The game unsurprisingly sold 1 million copies within 10 days from the launch of the PC version, so that would explain the year of negotiation..
    Am I wrong?

13. applekid macrumors 68020

We have an unofficial confirmation (some Maxis employee said something about he wanted a Mac version because he uses a Mac in an online chat posted on The Sims 2 website), but, I don't know... To me, it would seem weird for The Sims 2 to take one year to get the rights to it after looking at the success of the original and expansions on the Mac. It may speed up the porting process if they got some code to port within the last year, but I have my doubts about that. But, it wouldn't be bad to see an announcement for The Sims 2 soon.

I just want to remind everyone it took two years to get the rights for Madden 2000! The Mac port wasn't doing well outside of North America and consequently prevented us from seeing any sports games ever since. However, the Mac porting houses have always been interested in bringing another big-name sports game to the Mac, but we have to wait and see.

Another game I always wanted to see, one of the Need for Speed games. Preferably NFSU or NFSU2. We were supposed to get NFSU: Porsche Unleashed, but was stopped abruptly by EA. Check Maccentral.com. I remember reading an article.

EDIT: Ignore that part about EA stopping the game. It was more about time constraints. Read on.

14. Kit Fist0 macrumors newbie

I would love for it to be Star Wars Battlefront. Awesome game. Or maybe KotOR 2 ?

15. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Far Cry for OS X?

I hope Far Cry gets ported by Aspyr. It looks like a game that offers something familiar in a new way and its graphics engine would be a good way to utilise those G5s.

Onions make your eyes cry so maybe this is the game hinted at by the 'Liver & Onions' code name.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree about the Far cry posts but Aspyr has no flight simulators, IL2 forgotten battles would be good for the Mac platform.

17. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I'd be happy with IL-2 period. This sim is supposed to be phenomenal, but I doubt we'll ever see it. Flight Sims are rarely released for the Macs anymore (although we did get 2 new ones, Enemy Engaged and F-18 OIF). Maybe there's hope yet.

Since it's a few years old, I may pick up a copy and try Virtual PC 7 - it may or may not run decently. And if its barely playable, maybe when VPC 7.x finally gets graphics card support (promised by MS) in the next release, I'll finally be able to give it a go.