Ladies and Gentlemen, The Beatles!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Millions of people all over the world are fans of the music of the Beatles, including many people who were not yet born on February 9, 1964 (the kickoff of Beatlemania in the USA) or December 31, 1970 (when John, Paul, George, and Ringo legally dissolved the group).

Are you one of those fans? Which is your favorite Beatle album, Beatle song, Beatle movie, or Beatle?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Ugh. My mom came this >< close to naming me Paul :rolleyes:

Favorite album is a tie between Revolver and The Beatles (white), but favorite song goes to "I Am the Walrus."

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

turn me on dead man...

uh...wait a minute...that's not right... ;)

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i cant pick a favorite!!! its toooo difficult!!!

5. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I actually quite liked THE RUTLES...

http://www.rutles.org/

A much better group all round, The Pre-Fab Four were made up of Dirk, Stig, Nasty and Barry - and were at their best when they were experimenting with Tea...

Powered with an impressive arsenal of songs, including such greats as "The Tragical History Tour" and "Ouch!", they had a grand presence, culminating into an energetic, outlandish and interesting sound. Of all their songs, my all-time favourite has to be "All You Need Is Cash".

And, contrary to popular belief, they WERE bigger than Rod (Stewart).

;)

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well, I like their Music, I suppose I am a fan in that way. But I hardy listen to it all the time (born in '83 btw).

Sgt Peppers Lonely Harts Club Band! :D

7. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Nah - the Rutles did it better...

Sgt. Rutter's Only Darts Club Band

Attached Files:

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yes, "Cheese and Onions" has to rank as one of the most brilliant uses of the recording medium up to that time. Coincidentally, cheese and onions frequently cause me to produce some of the most brilliant flatus of all time.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I think I own every Beatles tune ever released on CD. I think. Plus I have all of John's stuff, most of Paul's and some of George's (That right there should tell you who my favorite Beatle is).

I could not peg a favourite song. I really like a lot of the early stuff that most people don't recognise, like Baby's in Black and The Things We Said Today.

Help! is a kickass album, one I'll listen to the whole way through without skipping over more than one or two tracks, as are Let It Be and Abbey Road. It's straight up kick-in-the-pants rock n' roll without the frills.

10. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

I don't like the beatles...

I think their songs are much too happy-hippy'esque and to sing-a-long-like

BUT I love the songs that were written by George Harrison (here comes the sun for example)

I'm more of a "Brian Wilson-guy" (Jeez, that guy was a frikken GENIUS!!!)... not into Lennon/McCartney

...and from a rock perspective, I always preferred the Rolling Stones, The Kinks, and The Who

this means, No! Beatles for me... :(

vSpacken

11. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I know this is heresy in some circles but I've always loved the Beatles and the Stones. Too many great songs to choose from, but "Blackbird", "Here Comes the Sun", "Hey, Jude", "Norwegian Wood" (hell, almost all of Rubber Soul) springs to mind as outstanding.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm not really what you would call a Beattles fan. I listened to their music when it was played on the radio. Never purchased any of their albums though.

I do remember watching their debut on "The Ed Sulliivan Show" forty years ago. My parents were fans of the show.

13. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

i was raised on the beatles, though i wasn't born until a few years after they disbanded. no way can i pick a favorite song...favorite album is the White Album though. Abbey Road and Revolver aren't too far behind...

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I grew up listening to The Beatles, so I am thouroughly sick of them.

They are good though, but not after the millionth listen.

The rest of my family doesn't seem to get sick of them though, except for my mom :).

scem0

15. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Anybody who wants to hear those performances can listen with a few clicks in iTunes. Beatles-A-Rama, one of the iTunes builtin radio streams (in the Classic Rock section) will be broadcasting four of the Sullivan show tapes tomorrow (Sunday Feb 8) at 9am Pacific Time.

16. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Mine probably have to be "Act Naturally" "Yesterday" and "Across the Universe." My mom was a pretty big fan, so I inherited some of that. I hear they're doing a segment about the Beatles at the Grammy's this year.

17. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Correct. And George Harrison is nominated for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance, Best Pop Instrumental Performance, and Best Pop Vocal Album, all three for his "Brainwashed" CD.

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, The Beatles!

i didn't get into the beatles until after they broke up...john has always been my favorite

19. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Whilst I recognise the massive impact they had on the formation of popular music, I can't stand the smug bastards, McCartney needs a good kicking and isn't half the nice guy everyone thinks he is (I speak from personal experience).

I'm not sire I could name 5 songs I like, certainly there isn't a single Beatles song on my iPod (1350 and counting)... No, wait, I have "I am the Walrus" by Jim Carey and Bobby McFerrin & Robin Williams version of "Come together", plus I might still have "With a little help form my friends" by Joe Cocker...

OK, 3 songs and not a beatle in sight:p

I'm not claiming they are over-rated or rubbish, I'm saying I don't like them.

20. iGav macrumors G3

I'm having to go with with vollspacken and WinterMute on this, although I've never met McCartney so I can't say for sure if he's as smug as he appears on TV though... heheh.

I thought the Beach Boys were better, and IMHO Brian Wilson wrote material that Lennon and McCartney (or McCartney and Lennon as Paul would now have it :rolleyes: ) couldn't touch... even if they had a copy of it in their hands.

21. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

As a California boy who grew up listening to both, all I have to say is - are you crazy? I love much of the Beach Boys stuff, but to say that the music that shaped much of the 60's couldn't touch them shows a separation from reality. Either that or an axe to grind.

And so what if Paul isn't the nicest of guys? Does that mean his musical contribution is less? Some of the stuff he did after the Beatles was pure rubbish, but his contribution during the "Fab Four" was tremendous. If I have a bone to pick with McCartney it is over what both he and Jagger have done with becoming Knighted. I'm sorry, rock n roll and aristocratic titles just don't go together. But none of that means the music wasn’t great. After all, Sinatra may have been the biggest ass to ever sing a tune, but he had one of the world’s greatest voices.

22. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Of course, now with George Harrison gone, I can't say my favourite Beatles' joke...

Q: What will it take to bring the Beatles back together?

A:
    3 more bullets...

Don't get upset - it's just a joke...

:rolleyes:

Then, for all the English out there, there's the "lost" Paula Yates joke - damn these celebrities for dying on me...

Q: Why would Paula Yates be great in the English Cricket team?

A:
    Because she screws Australians and brings home the Ashes....

:p

23. iGav macrumors G3

it's just an opinion fella... eveyone has one... ;)

I just can't stand the Beatles myself... and I do believe that Wilson was a a couple of leagues above Lennon and McCartney... but that's my opinion and I can only speak for myself.

As for McCartney, I don't think anyone has doubted his musical contribution....

But the only person seemingly with an axe to grind is Paul McCartney and his willingness to rewrite history, not only wanting to re-order the song writing credits, but also his recent little escapade with 'Let It Be' 'Naked'.... quite sad...

Although he does deserve a good bitch slap for that Frog Chorus thing.... :eek: :p :p :p

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I didn't get into the Beatles till the White Album, and the Beach Boys till the 80's (I think), when the opened for I believe Neil Diamond at the old Capital Center in the DC area.

25. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

I'm with you on that iGav.

just take "Caroline No!" or the original "Smile"-version of "Surf's Up"... hmmmmm :)

and BTW, the Beatles were the original boy-group..!

;)
    vSpacken