Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
So I live with a roommate in an apartment. We basically have three rooms his, mine and the kitchen. Mine is in the middle. Since I have moved in in September I have had a lot of company by what some call "cute" ladybugs. They are quite annoying let me tell you:

http://stuff.sebisworld.com/ladybugs.jpg

This is just the catch of the last 10 minutes, after having left the window open for an hour or so. There are no ladybugs in the kitchen or in my roommates room. Never. Now when I talk to people about this they are all like: "Oh, sweet. I wish I'd see more of those!" "Oh, cuuuuttteeee!!!" "You must be one lucky man!"

They are quite annoying at night though when they fly from one end to the room to another and make their stupid "hey im a ladybug watch me fly"-sound. That's why I have decided to end their lives the moment they enter my room (there's plenty if em let me tell you). Curiously, the same people that think ladybugs are "cccuuuuttteee" don't like this twist to the story...

Just spotted two more. Gotta get 'em all. :D

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
They are NOT ladybugs. In Illinois we call them Corn Bugs. Unlike ladybugs, they BITE, and it HURTS. They congregate in corners and live throughout the winter.
They are NOT your friends. They must be destroyed.
I use a vacuum cleaner.

Clydefrog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2006
Pittsburgh,PA
yikes, 2 years ago one today all over my street there were hundreds of them. They were everywhere, it was quite strange becuase i live in a suburb and any agriculture is miles away.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Les Kern said:
They are NOT ladybugs. In Illinois we call them Corn Bugs. Unlike ladybugs, they BITE, and it HURTS. They congregate in corners and live throughout the winter.
They are NOT your friends. They must be destroyed.
I use a vacuum cleaner.

you are correct and can tell the difference by the color. true lady bugs have a very, very red shell, the other asian beetles have a lighter more orange shell. i lived out in DeKalb for four years. there were swarms of 'em at times. truely annoying.

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
Corn bugs? I've never heard of those before and can't find anything bout them on the Internet either. But it certainly makes me feel better about killing those cute little birds:cool:
I usually use tape to get rid of them. I just put tape over them, they stick to it and I throw them in the trash while yelling bad words. It makes me feel all powerful.

By the way, there's 6 more on and around my window.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
If you REALLY want to feel all powerful, you can use the lighter+hairspray trick.
The downside is that you may burn down your house. But burning annoying things is fun.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
PRON!!!! :eek:

200px-Harmonia_axyridis2.jpg

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I hate ladybugs (actually we call them ladybirds in the UK). My flat seems to be plagued by these stupid creatures, though not quite to the same extent as the OP! :eek: I see mostly the 7-spot red variety but also several of the lighter orange coloured ones with multiple spots - I think it might even be this species.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Damn. I once had a ladybug infestation in my room when I was in RIT (Rochester). I went on a ladybug massacre, and they never returned afterwards, but the smell remained in my room for nearly two months!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.