Ladies keep bugging me

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sebisworld, Apr 1, 2006.

1. sebisworld macrumors 6502

Jun 24, 2003
    So I live with a roommate in an apartment. We basically have three rooms his, mine and the kitchen. Mine is in the middle. Since I have moved in in September I have had a lot of company by what some call "cute" ladybugs. They are quite annoying let me tell you:

This is just the catch of the last 10 minutes, after having left the window open for an hour or so. There are no ladybugs in the kitchen or in my roommates room. Never. Now when I talk to people about this they are all like: "Oh, sweet. I wish I'd see more of those!" "Oh, cuuuuttteeee!!!" "You must be one lucky man!"

They are quite annoying at night though when they fly from one end to the room to another and make their stupid "hey im a ladybug watch me fly"-sound. That's why I have decided to end their lives the moment they enter my room (there's plenty if em let me tell you). Curiously, the same people that think ladybugs are "cccuuuuttteee" don't like this twist to the story...

Just spotted two more. Gotta get 'em all. :D
  2. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    One or two every so often = cute

That many are just annoying! And yes, I'm not so keen on them when they start flying around...

I guess it means you won't have any trouble with aphids though...
  3. floriflee macrumors 68030

Dec 21, 2004
    Ha ha ha! Very cleaver thread title!!

Sorry for your pain, though.
  4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Those things bite man! don't be fooled by the pretty colors.

5. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    They are NOT ladybugs. In Illinois we call them Corn Bugs. Unlike ladybugs, they BITE, and it HURTS. They congregate in corners and live throughout the winter.
    They are NOT your friends. They must be destroyed.
    I use a vacuum cleaner.
  6. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2006
    yikes, 2 years ago one today all over my street there were hundreds of them. They were everywhere, it was quite strange becuase i live in a suburb and any agriculture is miles away.
  7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    you are correct and can tell the difference by the color. true lady bugs have a very, very red shell, the other asian beetles have a lighter more orange shell. i lived out in DeKalb for four years. there were swarms of 'em at times. truely annoying.
  8. sebisworld thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 24, 2003
    Corn bugs? I've never heard of those before and can't find anything bout them on the Internet either. But it certainly makes me feel better about killing those cute little birds:cool:
    I usually use tape to get rid of them. I just put tape over them, they stick to it and I throw them in the trash while yelling bad words. It makes me feel all powerful.

By the way, there's 6 more on and around my window.
  9. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2006
    If you REALLY want to feel all powerful, you can use the lighter+hairspray trick.
    The downside is that you may burn down your house. But burning annoying things is fun.
  10. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
    I hate ladybugs (actually we call them ladybirds in the UK). My flat seems to be plagued by these stupid creatures, though not quite to the same extent as the OP! :eek: I see mostly the 7-spot red variety but also several of the lighter orange coloured ones with multiple spots - I think it might even be this species.
  11. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Damn. I once had a ladybug infestation in my room when I was in RIT (Rochester). I went on a ladybug massacre, and they never returned afterwards, but the smell remained in my room for nearly two months!