Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Hiya,

I installed Mountain Lion on a Macbook 5.2 (mid 2009, 4GB RAM) which was previously running very snappily on on Snow Leopard.

Now, my macbook seems to stall every now and then when using the UI / Finder. Opening a print dialog causes a few seconds stall. Likewise saving a file causes a few seconds pinwheel.

Even opening a text file causes a couple of seconds spinning wheel. I have installed MenuMeters http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/menumeters/ to see if I am running out of memory or CPU power, but I have plenty of RAM space, and sometimes get the lag without CPU usage going above 25%.

Any help? I'm considering wiping my disk and going for a clean reinstall of OSX ML but it's a major effort that I'd rather avoid - I have a large amount of data to bring over and apps to reinstall.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Well ML uses a lot more ram. On a mac with just 2GB of ram I've seen it use almost all of its memory doing nothing. Check the usage in activity monitor. I noticed some lag on my old aluminum MacBook when upgrading from SL. I think it might just be too hard on the older systems. A fresh install would probably help, but not a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.