Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howareyoukk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
hi guys..iam new to this forum and i purchased a macbook air 13 inch 2012 gen that comes with i5 ,4g ram and 256 sad..its a great machine..however, it seems like the air or the safari can not handle some websites very well while zoom in and scroll..so i read lots of posts about this type of issues on retina pro ..i barely heard of anything on macbook air..so is it me or someone who has a i7 and 8g ram macbook air 13 also experiences this kind of lag during web browsing.if thats the case, i am thinking about returning this laptop in 14 days and getting the top end macbook air 13..Thanks!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Open Activity Monitor in /Applications/Utilities and see if there is/are any processes using too much CPU resources, be sure to click on All processes in the drop down Menu and the click on the CPU Tab so that the most hungry processes are on top.

howareyoukk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
Open Activity Monitor in /Applications/Utilities and see if there is/are any processes using too much CPU resources, be sure to click on All processes in the drop down Menu and the click on the CPU Tab so that the most hungry processes are on top.

thanks for your reply...i checked it and the cpu usage looks normal to me..sorry if i didnt make it clear, my air has that laggy issues while you zoom in first and scroll up and down; and it mostly occurs on the websites with loads of pictures and flash(i installed "click to flash")..I know apple's products dont supoort flash very well but it cant be that bad when it comes to web browsing..

are you having a air that has i7 and 8gb ram..can you please click the following website, zoom in and then scroll up and down and see if you have the lag issues as well..

http://www.theverge.com

P.S it even gets laggy on facebook when i zoom in and scroll

updates: i clicked the link above and then zoom in to like 100 percent..and then my safari web contents can get to 100 %cpu....wats going on...

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
thanks for your reply...i checked it and the cpu usage looks normal to me..sorry if i didnt make it clear, my air has that laggy issues while you zoom in first and scroll up and down; and it mostly occurs on the websites with loads of pictures and flash(i installed "click to flash")..I know apple's products dont supoort flash very well but it cant be that bad when it comes to web browsing..

are you having a air that has i7 and 8gb ram..can you please click the following website, zoom in and then scroll up and down and see if you have the lag issues as well..

http://www.theverge.com

P.S it even gets laggy on facebook when i zoom in and scroll

updates: i clicked the link above and then zoom in to like 100 percent..and then my safari web contents can get to 100 %cpu....wats going on...

Ah, Facebook, it is notorious for this,Flash indeed sucks but on my mini it's OK, don't ever use ccrappy Facebook but had a guest yesterday which does and I saw no lag.

The Verge is another heavy website.
You could download Webkit nightly build and see if that will work better, or use a different browser.

But cleaning, resetting Safari might also do the trick.

howareyoukk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
Ah, Facebook, it is notorious for this,Flash indeed sucks but on my mini it's OK, don't ever use ccrappy Facebook but had a guest yesterday which does and I saw no lag.

The Verge is another heavy website.
You could download Webkit nightly build and see if that will work better, or use a different browser.

But cleaning, resetting Safari might also do the trick.

thx a lot..the webkit nightly build is way better than other browser...it still lags on the verge while zoom in and scroll..or maybe iam a bit critical here..
you experience zoom in and scroll lag on some websites as well and u running a i7 and 8g ram?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
thx a lot..the webkit nightly build is way better than other browser...it still lags on the verge while zoom in and scroll..or maybe iam a bit critical here..
you experience zoom in and scroll lag on some websites as well and u running a i7 and 8g ram?

I have the base Mini and I mostly Remote control it so I can't really say, up until now didn't see lag.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Nope

11" MBA with an i7 and 8 gigs of ram.

ClickTo Flash installed.

No lag issues, even zoomed to the point where I see only a few lines at a time.

howareyoukk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
Thank for trying ... U tried the verge link above right? Then I guess the ram and CPU are important even in web browsing experience... Thinking abt returning it and get the top end model of 13 inch.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Okay

Laggy when you flick up and down real fast?

Also...why would you ever need to zoom (not that this means it shouldn't work, I'm just curious)?

howareyoukk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
Laggy when you flick up and down real fast?

Also...why would you ever need to zoom (not that this means it shouldn't work, I'm just curious)?

yes it gets laggy when i zoom in and scroll down fast, it lags on your model as well even with i7 and 8gb?? the reason of me being critical about this is that i spent 1500 dollars on a laptop and somehow it lags a bit even on internet browsing...just make me think the performance does not match the price range..

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
uhhh..

yes it gets laggy when i zoom in and scroll down fast, it lags on your model as well even with i7 and 8gb?? the reason of me being critical about this is that i spent 1500 dollars on a laptop and somehow it lags a bit even on internet browsing...just make me think the performance does not match the price range..

I guess I don't know what you mean by laggy. When I stop moving or move slow, it looks great. But if I flick too fast I can't read everything, but that seems normal to me. The scroll is sensitive, and that's good.

howareyoukk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
I guess I don't know what you mean by laggy. When I stop moving or move slow, it looks great. But if I flick too fast I can't read everything, but that seems normal to me. The scroll is sensitive, and that's good.

Laggy as in low frame rate when u complete zoom in and scroll fast.. Not as smooth as when u zoom out completely and scroll fast

Can someone please do a test and tell me or just tell me from his own experiences..if it is the hardware issues, I will send it back and get the i7+8gb ram

P.S. it does not lag when you don't zoom in, it starts getting laggy when you zoom in and scroll really fast for some websites
for example this one: http://www.theverge.com

Last edited by a moderator:

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
MBP mid-2012 here, stock except for 16GB RAM, and that website works just fine for me.

Zoomed right in, zoomed right out, scrolling up and down (and side to side) using the trackpad and just the space-bar for vertical scrolling in Safari and it doesn't lag significantly.

Note that many website lagging issues are often down to the rendering of the website itself - that website isn't the most speedy site I've ever seen, but I wouldn't consider it "laggy".

howareyoukk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
MBP mid-2012 here, stock except for 16GB RAM, and that website works just fine for me.

Zoomed right in, zoomed right out, scrolling up and down (and side to side) using the trackpad and just the space-bar for vertical scrolling in Safari and it doesn't lag significantly.

Note that many website lagging issues are often down to the rendering of the website itself - that website isn't the most speedy site I've ever seen, but I wouldn't consider it "laggy".

thx for trying it out. so i guess it has nothing to do with ram or processor?

----------

If you haven't already, install the 10.8.3 update - it addresses issues with Safari scrolling.

thx for your reply.. i did install the new update but it doest seem to improve a lot on web browsing experience..iam using the nightly build webkit and it works way better than the safari

----------

Try latest Webkit nightly build of Safari
http://nightly.webkit.org/

- turn on WebGL

hahaa..i am using the nightly build version and the webgl is on as well..maybe i am just being too critical ...

----------

I get the same with my MBA 11 but I live with it :p
I think its just Safari...

i am thinking if a 8g ram or i7 processor will help...thx for you reply anyway :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.