lakers or kings?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Retired

jefhatfield

so who do you think will take the western? LA lakers or sacramento kings?

personally, i think sac will step up but then lose to the new jersey nets in the nba finals

sac has all the elements of a great team, but they just don't have the ability to close out opportunities given to them like the great chicago bulls of recent vintage

the lakers look like an aging team past their prime and if somehow they get past the kings, they will get blown away by new jersey

shaq just looks slow and kobe is inconsistent...there is no questioning their individual talents, but every great player has their run and then they lose their edge

2. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i want sacramento to win. and then to win again.

just cause i don't like dynasties much. and i'm not big on the nets.

too bad the answer's not still in it.... ahh

3. thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

sports dynasties are boring and i think the last one left is the new york yankees...they need to get a real salary cap going in baseball and then things will even out in that sport

once all team sports are evened out, there will be nothing to stop individual dynasties like tiger woods in golf or the williams sisters in tennis

i predict tiger will beat all of jack nicklaus' records and he will do it all before he turns 40

4. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i hate the yankees... yuck.

i am the next tiger says back-dawg... so how long before i beat tiger's records?? ha

5. macrumors 603

Man, I guess you are not going to like my baseball cap collection. :)

Go Tiger! The only thing that scares me about him is when he is having a bad golf day and he completely drives one 300 yards in anger. That would be a lot like me. On a bad day, I'll do things my way.

Fear the King.

6. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I was going to go reawaken my thread on this subject, but I see jef' beat me to it.

I'm still pulling for the Lakers, even though I know they will have a tough game today.

The way I see it, both teams are pretty evenly matched (why else would this series have gone to 7 games, with so many games ending with point differences of -5?). I think it comes down to experience here, not just of the players, but also the coaches.

You can't deny that Phil Jackson knows how to coach a team to greatness. As we've seen with so many teams, individual talent only goes so far. The coach has to be the one to make the whole team come together. And in big situations, PJ knows how to get his players to come through.

Lakers by 3 today.

7. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i'm not much of a sports fan but i'd rather the lakers not win.

for no other reason than having to watch the boneheads riot and burn cars here in l.a.

wheres a sniper when you need one?

8. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I don't really watch bball, been to a few games, saw MJ play this year (3rd row on the floor, center court, fabulous seats). It just seems to me this year that there really isn't much hype or less emotion following the playoffs. I've usually seen or heard much more in previous years. Anyone else noticed this?

9. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Did the LA fans do that last year?

Thing is with a dynasty, the fans get used to and don't act crazy every year their team wins.

Now the Avalanche fans last year...that was nuts...too bad they can't do it again this year. :p

10. macrumors member

Right now the Lakers have their backs to the wall. I think they will bounce back like all great teams do in the time of need. I say the lakers by 3. Go L.A.

11. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm not one to gloat and say "I told you so"...oh wait...nevermind, I am.

I told you so. :p

12. macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Not to be rude, but...

Screw the Lakers. They're a bunch of overpriced playboys. Win or lose, I'll take the Celtics any day. Let the flames commence. :p

13. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Lakers won by 4:( I hate them, now for New Jersey to roll over them!

14. macrumors member

Lakers Rule!!!

The lakers are the best team in the NBA...They will dominate for years to come with the likes of Kobe and Shaq. Kobe is 23 and Shaq is 29. That is a dynasty baby.....yippie

15. macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Re: Lakers Rule!!!

I disliked you before with all of the bashing, but now I hate you. Piss off, troll.

16. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha, thinkpadsrule new approach on how to win over and influence people.....

You're off to a good start their boy-o, you might want to tone down your enthusiasm before you'll be abused before you even post a reply to a thread.

17. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I thought I couldn't hate you more but, I hate even more than I used to, and that only took 4 hours! Nets will beat shaq and kobe's A$$!!

No one likes you get out troll!

18. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Not to be rude, but...

You do know that Boston lost to New Jersey last week, right?

Kinda tough to beat the Lakers if you never get to play them.;)

19. macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Re: Re: Not to be rude, but...

Hence the "win or lose" part of the post. Just voicing my general disdain for the Lakers. And the Pistons and the Knicks, while I'm at it. I'll probably be pulling for the Nets, but I can't say I'm pleased about it. Oh well...

20. macrumors member

I don't need you guys to like me. I will speak my opinion and laugh at you idiots as you post a reply. I think the lakers are the best team in the NBA so what. That's no reason to bash me. You guys are bashing me b/c I will speak the truth. Something most of you hate to hear. Yeah I called your beloved tibook ( I have one) a slowerbook so what. That's my opinion and I am entitled to it. I tell you what go get one of your belove tibooks ( the 800 Mhz model) and go buy the thinkpad T30 and run some tests. You will get the picture. Have any of you read the articles on barefeats. I guess you decide to pretend that site doesn't exist since you have those blindfolds on.

21. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

so I'm thinking I was one of the few people who could have cared less about the games?

I didn't watch any of it...and to be honest....I didn't really know they were even playing until the other night...

22. macrumors 68030

britboy

It takes more than two players to make a good team, does it not? Who's to say that one or both of the players you named (who are they btw? ;)) will not sign for another team?

You're just hoping they'll dominate. You're probably the same as Man Utd. supporters, a glory hunter. :D:D:D

23. macrumors member

britboy

The lakers are going for their 3rd straight title and the 2 guys I mentioned are both under long term contracts. So I presume they will be on the team for many years to come. I have been a laker fan all my life so yes I am a little zealous about them.

24. macrumors 68030

britboy

So they've won the past two season... past success is no guarantee of a rosy future.

I've never been much interested in a pansy sport like basketball anyway. Rugby... now *that's* something to get excited about :)

25. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Re: Lakers Rule!!!

Yes, it does take more than two players to make a good team. The Lakers have two superstars in Shaq and Kobe, and a large supporting cast of players: Robert Horry, Rick Fox, Lindsey Hunter, etc.

But the biggest thing they have going for them is Phil Jackson as a coach. He has the experience of coaching the Bulls to all those championships. He knows how to handle the superstar players and make the entire team work together.