LAME DISCUSSION #1: Can Animals be considered athletes?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Applexilef, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Applexilef macrumors regular

Ok, me and some people were watching the horse race today and they were referring to the horses as "athletes". This triggered a discussion among us whether Animals can be considered athletes.

I think, by definition, that the word athlete is solely a referral to a "person" trained to compete in some sort of sport. Also, Animals that participate in these competitions are more driven by instinct than by specialty training. Such is the case of a greyhound following a rabit, or a horse just running freely on the open. The animal has no "thought" process or decision making ability to personally (or shall that be animally?) start a training program.

On the other hand, the Animal is following orders from someone. Just as a coach gives orders to its players to train, practice, compete, blah, blah. I can't remember much of the arguments that the "pro-athlete" people made. I also believe that when Secretariat won the triple crown in 1976, she was crowned "Athlete of the Year" by some magazine. (maybe Horse Illustrated?)

Expect more lame discussions, brought to you by me.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

'cording to Webster:

athlete - a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina

Looks like it's just humans, though the entomology hints that it could be for any that has trained to contend for a prize which would include horses in this case.

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I really don't see why not.

Just let me know, though, when Mr. Ed gets a Nike endorsement.

4. russed macrumors 68000

russed

there are two ways of looking at this:

1) certain animals were born/have elvolved with the ability to run fast/have strength etc and so are not athletes

2) by looking at the previous definition of athlete then you could argue that the likes of race horses are bred and trained with the aim of having stamina that the ability to run fast just like humans train so yes you could say so.

my conculsion! i would say its a bit of both!

5. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

6. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I think a major consideration is the fact that animals do not get to do choose to participate in whatever sport. A human chooses to compete and trains to do it. A racehorse is forced to compete and forced to train. Now, I am sure that the horses dont mind and may even like running really fast and racing, but they would probably be just as happy doing that in a field somewhere. Maybe, the atheletes the people were talking about were the jockeys.

7. Applexilef thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, this is why I labeled it Lame discussion #1, I'm sure I'll argue about something really stupid with someone and then I'll come here to post it. I want them to be "quality lame discussions" though. At least a bit interesting , not just spam. So get ready! Lame discussions are here to stay! :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. coopdog macrumors 6502a