Lame question about Cocoa and Coredata

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by darksider, Feb 26, 2007.

1. macrumors member

I am building my very first simple "cocoa application", which should load and show a certain part of text (it depends what you decide to show in combo box) stored "somewhere". I was just wondering, whether using "coredata application" is the best way and I should rebuild like that or ...?
    and... do i understand correctly, that "coredata application" is the same as "cocoa application" but even has the support of the database?

:confused: thx

2. macrumors member

Core Data is an infrastructure, that is used with Cocoa, to help manage (change, save, retrieve, etc) data in a database... sounds like you want something simpler (to read a text file?). I recommend, in either case, starting w/o using core data, even though it is tempting. Learn the basics of Cocoa first.

3. thread starter macrumors member

thank you

Ok, and so I'll make the "core data" application, save all needed data, which will be used. But then, I dont want to edit, add a thing and I dont want even the created interface for saving new data, I want a whole new interface which would show all stored information and I dont understand how to do it.
    Just a tips, could someone? :) thx

4. macrumors member

what kind of information do you need to display?

5. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Core data is more like a database for storing stuff, you should follow the tutorial over on apple.com to get a feel for it, you should learn how to use Cocoa first with a book such as the Aaron Hillegass one.

6. macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

Core Data is not just a database! It is more of an Object management infrastructure.;) But yeah, those tutorials are pretty good.

7. thread starter macrumors member

thank you all for help, so I guess Im going to pass the tutorials :)