LAN IP Scanning

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Markleshark, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I need a small program where I can scan my LAN for computers using it.

So for example I can tell the program to scan 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.200 and it will tell me all the IPs in that range being used by something.

Does anyone know anything that will do that? I did have quite a good program once over that would do it, it had a logo a little like acquisition, the little yellow sign, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called...

Thanks.

2. Queso macrumors G4

Easiest way on OSX is to ping the broadcast address. On the address range you quote, it will be 192.168.0.255.

If you want more detail on the traffic the machines are sending, try Ethereal. It's available as a free download and you can use The Fink Project's binary if you don't want to compile it yourself.

3. VoidBoi macrumors regular

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Assuming you have admin rights to the router, you could check the logs and see which IPs are allocated and active.

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Neither of these methods work 100%. The first one doesn't give me any of the machines on my network except for my own and my router, and the second one only shows machines you have established a connection to. It won't necessarily show you everything on your subnet.

6. Queso macrumors G4

ARP requests will periodically broadcast from the source to all machines on the subnet. Try Ethereal and filter for these packet types.

7. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

It's all good, thanks for the suggestions, but I found 'Network Device Finder' on Version Tracker.

Does exactly what I want it to do... :D Hurrah.