LAN Messeging

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iHungry, Jul 5, 2004.

1. iHungry macrumors newbie

iHungry

Hi, I own a PowerBook G4, an iBook G4, and iMac G4, and a desktop PC (all computers are connected wirelessly through airport extreme) Are there any free LAN instant messeging programs for both Macs and PCs. My wife and daugter bought QuickPopup and used it for a while, but they didn't care for it. Any feedback would be appreciated. :confused:

2. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

Have you tried AOL Instant Messenger? Or are you looking for a LAN only messaging clent?

3. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Well, iChat does Rendezvous messaging between client computers which would work on the LAN network except there's currently no PC iChat.

4. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

Exactly, but there is a mac and windows version of AIM. Unless I'm WAAAYYYY outta the loop :)

5. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Although there is, AIM is a web based IM service and doesn't utilise the local network.

6. iHungry thread starter macrumors newbie

iHungry

Yeah, sorry I wasnt too clear, but I was looking for a more private meeseging serive (just bewtween the LAN) and AIM isn't off loop, that's what our family tried in the first place. But we just want to use something more private. ;)

7. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Well, apart from QuickPopup there is PowerPop (Mac & Win) which appears to be the only other cross-platform messenger.

There a few other ones for local network messaging across Mac networks.

Other than that people are hoping that Apple will bring iChat out to the PC along with Rendezvous messaging, there was a thread about that but I can't find it.

8. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

i have a new powerbook and my mum has an emac and we both share the airport extreme, how do i send files to her and am i ment to be able to see that she is on the network ( because i dont know how to)

9. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

How do you use iChat to talk to someone on another Mac on the same network? I have a G5 and my dad has an iBook both with iChat (10.3.4).

10. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

MacXPop

MacXPop is a great utility for messaging without keeping any application open. The install directions for panther are slightly off, but if you can figure out what path it REALLY means, and insert that as the path then it installs without a hitch.

For windows, just type "net send <computer_name> <message>" to send a message. It will automatically display on windows, and on mac it will flash the finder's icon, and show a window with the message.

For mac, you can use the terminal or a handy app named Samba Message to send the message to the computer of your choice.

Just make sure Apple's "Windows File Sharing" and MS' Windows Messenger are both enabled.

11. iHungry thread starter macrumors newbie

iHungry

To talk to someone on your LAN (Local Area Network) under iChat, you need to use Rendezvous, a feature built-in-to iChat. Click iChat in the Menu bar, then click log into Rendezvous. This new buddy window will automatically show people on your local network. One cool feature of Rendezvouse Messeging is that when you type a messege, you can see the messege as the other person types it (if you enable it) tell me if it worked.
    there are alternatives, such as QuickPopup