LAN parties?

Discussion in 'Games' started by toezter, Jan 31, 2005.

1. toezter macrumors regular

toezter

does anyone ever take their mac to a LAN party?

i haven't gone since UT2k4 beta came out, but would love to hit up the fun again. what system and games you do usualy play? able to keep up with PC'ers?

2. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I carry my Powerbook (see .sig for specs) to LAN parties. We tend to play UT2004, Quake III, and WarCraft III. The Powerbook handles them all perfectly.

3. brap macrumors 68000

I took my G4 800 iBook to a LAN once. Great fun! Armagetron, Quake 3 and UT2003. This was, after all, back in the day.

Alas, I've moved away from all my nerdy friends now, and haven't had a chance to test out my shiny Powerbook.

4. rdhatfield3 macrumors member

My friend's dad was head of the communication dept. at a local university. When we were in Jr. High and High school we used to have free reign of the building and the mac labs with G3! mac's that we thought were awesome (which they were). We would stay up all night playing warcraft and then starcraft when that came out. When we first started doing that we played on some old performas running 60x or maybe even 68xxx processors and AppleTalked together via printer ports. Man we would get some lag on those old printer port LANs when we were duking it out warcraft style

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  6. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

While I don't have the most able of gaming computers (PB 12 Rev. B), I've just recently got some others interested in UT 2004. We've got a totally portable setup, everyone playing on a laptop over my Airport Express network.

7. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i take mine over to my friends house every weekend for gaming. UT2K4 and WC3:FT. i can play on the PowerBook just fine but i can always play better on a desktop that runs it better.

8. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I have lugged the computer in my sig to friend's houses numerous times for WC3, TrueCombat, CoD, and UT2K4. It keeps up with my friend's PCs fairly well in a Windows optimized gaming world. ;)

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I would highly recommend playing Myth II at LAN parties (Macs and PCs can network without any problems).

10. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Good old days

A couple of years ago my friends and I had a bunch of LAN parties. Our hardware was pretty mixed though, if we wanted to play UT or Quake 3, only 3 machines could handle it. If everyone was going to play at the same time, the machines would have to include a couple of LC2s. This meant Bolo, Worms, a little bit of Quake 1 (most people could handle it), then more Bolo. We were using some 10 year old machines but we still managed to have a blast.

11. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

Anything Blizzard (starcraft, warcraft), Unreal 2K4, Medal of Honor, Jedi Academy and Halo should all work. The trick is making sure everyone has the same version. This is often difficult with all the pirated copies at LAN parties.

12. toezter thread starter macrumors regular

toezter

no one has mentioned EA games. what about any battlefield (1942, DC, vietnam) games?

13. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Alas... I have never been to a real LAN party. :eek: I'm a disgrace to all geeks.

My G4 iMac isn't too good in the mobility department.

Though I do do a direct connect over the internet with some friends in California and Georgia to have an occasional game. Good times with old friends. :(

14. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Lol your making it sound like playing at a LAN party is a requirement. Its not. Its just friends coming together to play games/have fun. When you find a group of people nearby to do that, then you'll have played at a LAN too. Its really nothing TOO special.

Though I have to admit, playing Alienswarm with 7 other players (for a team of 8); that was some of the craziest co-op I had done in a long time.

15. cpjakes macrumors 6502

I have great memories of LAN parties, mostly playing the original UT with several mods. The best was that my 550MHz G4 was the fastest machine at the time and it kicked ass. I'd also play head-to-head Battleship style at a table, trying to figure out where he was based on his audio...

But one of the best games was Avara, bad polygon shapes (absolutely no shading or detail) and required one computer to dial the other to play head-to-head. That was back in 1997, but pretty sweet...

16. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Mmm ... I Googled Alien Swarm, just to see.

We're definitely going to be playing that at the next LAN. :)