[Lance] Armstrong throws in the towel [on doping charges]

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by .Andy, Aug 23, 2012.

1. .Andy, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2012

macrumors 68030

.Andy

2. Guest

I call BS on Armstrong's statement. With his holier than thou attitude, if he was truly innocent, he would have fought the charges. Ban his ass and strip his titles.

3. macrumors G5

Macman45

The sad truth about cycling is that it's rife with doping...Armstrong is the tip of a very big iceberg. I don't watch it now except at the Olympics where medalists are tested post event.

4. macrumors 6502a

To be fare though, if he is indeed honest, how long do you keep fighting for a sport he is done with? How many trials, hearings, interviews, would you want to waste your time going through just to satisfy the appetite of the others trying to convict him of something that isn't there in the first place?

I'm still unsure what to believe. If they never caught anything wrong with the test results during the races while others were getting banned for problems, why now? If they have such obvious evidence to do something as drastic as they are doing now, where is it? How long before it's released? One thing is for certain, none of the sports know how to handle/test for PEDs.

It's unfortunately for everyone because he really popularized the Tour de France here in America and I don't see it ever being the same.

5. macrumors Core

MacNut

Armstrong has a lot of ball to try to deny anything.

6. macrumors 6502a

Cycling isn't rife with doping. Some of the professional riders might be doing that, but the millions of enthusiasts around the world, the so called weekend warriors aren't doping.

I'm certainly not - and it's outrageous to tar the entire sport because of the actions of a few. :rolleyes:

7. Peace, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

macrumors P6

Peace

I saw what you did.

/stewie comment

:p

He should just go retire with his money..He had a long run.

8. macrumors 603

How long does he have to fight it? He never tested positive once by any of the tests the USADA gave him.

Where is the PROOF that he actually used performance enhancers? Not speculative ******** or half assed claims, I want to see the proof of at least one failed test. Until that, I'm on his side.

Still waiting to hear the ICU's statement and whether they will even acknowledge this crap from the USADA.

Where's the damn proof? What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

He's already been retired. Now he's just working with his foundation, which according to his statement, has now raised over $500 MILLION dollars for cancer research. That's what really matters in this, not some witch hunt from an organization that has yet to provide a single shred of concrete evidence.

9. macrumors G4

daneoni

The USADA do sound like an annoying bunch of idiots. If he was indeed doping surely something would've given him away by now after all these years. How can you convict someone when you have zero proof, where is the due process.

Wreaks of a witch hunt to me.

10. macrumors Core

MacNut

Why did he throw in the towel and stop fighting the claims?

11. macrumors 603

from the statement on his website:
    (http://lancearmstrong.com/news-events/lance-armstrongs-statement-of-august-23-2012)

12. macrumors Core

MacNut

13. macrumors 603

A miracle of modern medicine and a ton of hard work? Or are we just now making the assumption that every top athlete in every sport is probably using steroids?

We have this whole testing process in place for a reason. He passed. EVERY time. Until there is something that proves otherwise, this is complete bull ****.

14. macrumors 68040

boss.king

I haven't followed the investigations, but surely by now they should be required to provide evidence of his alleged doping or drop it. I'm not saying he's innocent, but so far there's no evidence showing otherwise. He's been victimised for years. Is it not possible that he's just a spectacular cyclist?

15. macrumors 65816

Because no one has escaped USADA's guilty until proven innocent kangaroo court.

16. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

I think it's safe to assume that Macman45 was, in a thread about pro cycling, only referring to pro cycling and was not referring to everyone in the world that cycles.

17. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Yeah I think you might be right there:D

Even if he does loose his titles it doesn't stop him from being an amazing cyclist and an inspirational figure.

18. macrumors G5

Macman45

No, I didn't mean folks like you...:) It's the pro's and the huge amounts of money on offer from Sky etc. Not an excuse, but it is part of the cause...I used to mountain bike prior to my illness and I loved it...No doping either..:)

19. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

38 suspect samples and 10 ex team mates prepared to give evidence against him, I think even Armstrong sees that as a no win situation.

20. Guest

38? I knew of 10. Can you provide a source?

21. macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

I think it's quite clear that the lost non-doped tour win happened several decades ago as their is only so much extreme training and hitting a genetic jackpot can do for you vs. the extremity of the modern tour.

If it was just a 1 or 2 day event one could actually believe that athletes could drive those stages at such speed, but over weeks the idea is just ridiciouls.....

Some were stupid enough to dope in ways that could detected with methods of their days, others could only be detected years after with advancing tech while some might have been smart/lucky enough to escape detection at all.

Seeing an honest cyclist competing for the tour title is just as likely as seeing a real fight in pro wrestling :p

22. niuniu, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012

macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Lance Armstrong drops doping fight

Good move for him. Although it looks like he's admitting to doping, it was better than having all the evidence shown in court and having new witnesses like teammates repeatedly coming forward testifying against him over a long drawn out process. He manages to suppress the evidence and avoid criminal prosecution.

He can leave the public eye for a short while until it dies down, then begin a publicity fight to salvage his image and brand.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/aug/24/how-lance-armstrong-strongarmed-cycling

What a way to end a career & wonder if Nike will drop his Livestrong range.

Edit: thanks Balamw for merging

23. macrumors 601

twietee

One should add that he's about to lose all his titles (Tour de France at least). And about time, I've to add. Didn't like him, and don't like all the others. They pretty much ****** up these sports for me (yes, I didn't watch any olympic games in years, too) and for all the other athletes doing a fair job.

24. macrumors 68040

boss.king

As far as I understand, the Tour de France board are not in agreement with the USADA (the ones going after him). It doesn't mean he will lose his titles or that he is admitting to doping. It means that after fighting it for years, and still not being conclusively proved to have doped, he is sick of fighting it.

25. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    He was only officially charged two months ago. He hadn't even begun to fight the charges.

The evidence against him had been built up over years. That evidence included blood tests and a range of witnesses that would testify to seeing him dope, including old teammates.