Lance may return...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Blackadder, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Lance Armstrong will be training with team Discovery Channel, and as yet no new team leader has been recruited...

Link

I really thought that his retirement after this year's Tour was very classy - it is rare (and refreshing) to see somebody going out on top. But it's his call.

As to his fitness, I'm sure few people doubt he is capable of winning an 8th Tour (heck, he could probably go for 10 and do it) - but he knows his own fitness best.

Maybe the controversy surrounding the L'Equipe accusations have made him want to stick it to the naysayers?

I just hope Lance doesn't end up like Michael Jordan...

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

he said he wants to stick it to the french... can't blame him i suppose... and i don't think he'd come back unless he really knew he could win again...

it's all speculation at this point anyway...

but discovery didn't go sign a new team leader... :cool: :D

3. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It seems to me that the French generally don't have issues with Lance, but there is a small (yet vocal) minority that is very anti-Lance. I guess the French don't have much tolerance for Texans... ;)

To be honest I'd like to see if Ulrich can win again post-Lance - he was always a great sportsman and his rivalry with Lance (while a bit hyped) was very entertaining to watch.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

The French Press HATES Lance.

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i shouldn't have said french, maybe french press. ullrich has always bothered me, i think the party boy image from a few years back really left a bad taste in my mouth.

6. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It's true he's had off-bike mishaps, and the doping really bothers me, but during the Tour he's always fun to watch. Assuming Lance stays retired he will be a huge factor in the time trials and at least a threat for the overall win.

And yes, the French press do seem to be anti-Lance.

7. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I heard this on the news last night. I hope he stays retired...it's so rare to go out on top...and so hard to stay out of the game for people with an intense champion's competitive nature. But the comebacks rarely work out well...

lance, dude, stay home with sheryl, relax...make some babies or whatever, and just enjoylife for a little bit...

8. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Lance has said he'll retire or has even retired before I think, but coming out of retirement 'just to p*ss them off' is a bit lame. Imagine if he got beaten? He'd look like a chump. I'm not saying he would get beaten, but coming out of retirement on that agenda is asking for trouble. Sticking two fingers up at them has already been done by whipping everyone for the last 7 years. I think the French are just pissed that the tour became Tour de Lance instead of Tour de France.

PS. Don't diss MJ - you run a good chance of being struck down.... ;)

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I agree. And while the process of attempting to make babies may be enjoyable for Lance (and Sheryl ;)), actually doing it would be a whole 'nother matter, since it would be a medical procedure.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

To me, winning an eighth Tour will do nothing to dispel the rumors of Lance doping in '99. Spite would be best served by digging up some dirt on the French press and embarrassing them with it.

11. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Well, I don't think he'd go to that much trouble just to taunt the French media...If he does race I think the reason will be because that's what he does, and he doesn't want to stop.

Although, maybe it would be better for him to start competing in other Tours like the Giro d'Italia - he's already put his stamp firmly on the Tour de France.

LOL, I never was much of a basketball fan but it was sad to see such a legend fade away like he did - it was just too hard to let go.

12. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Quote: Armstrong Said "I'm thinking it's the best way to p*** [the French] off. I'm not willing to put a percentage on the chances but I will no longer rule it out."

Pun Pun, 'fade away....' :)

13. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Yeah, I read that too. I think it's just bluster. At least I hope. :rolleyes:

14. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i think he should come back with the aim of winning Giro, Vuelta and World Championship in the same year, and snubbing the tour.
    i bet he could do it.
    :cool:

15. giffut macrumors 6502

It´s ...

... really strange, because those doping accusations don´t come from mere conspiracy, but from serious research on the side of the testing facility as much as from the journalist who uncovered his identity related to the positively tested probes. The DNA testing method is accurate, the EPO separation and testing is accurate, too, all scientifically waterproof to the roof.

He didn´t do anything to prove them wrong, just some rhetorics in that regard, noisy patriotic screaming live on CNN.

Don´t misunderstand me: I don´t hate Armstrong, but to me his behaviour seems to be troublesome at the least. Indeed he did nothing serious, nor anything productive and helpful to falsify those completely fact based accusations. Those results aren´t made up by the french because they hate him.

Actually he behaves quite like Mariah Jones, e.g., or similar doping cases in the last few years. Something seems to be wrong, and probably not only in terms of the 1999 tour.

What do you think?

16. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

This pisses me off. He ran this past Tour de France as his last race, and claimed he would retire afterwards. And everyone gave him the whole "bye, Lance, we love you" treatment.

This is almost as bad as Michael Jordan's TWO fake retirements or Barbra Streisand's endless "farewell" tours. If you say you're going to quit, quit. But don't say you're going to quit, act like you HAVE quit, and then say "I'm coming back".

If he comes back, I will lose all of my respect for him. He's been a man of his word up to this point.

17. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

From what I read the L'Equipe evidence was inconclusive - no definitive proof.

I hope Lance is telling the truth, I certainly want to believe him.

It's also important to remember that EPO or other red-blood cell boosting drugs are used to treat cancer - perhaps in 199 his system was still out of balance as a result of his cancer treatment. Just speculation though.

18. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

losing respect for someone because they unretire? why? thats silly in my opinion.

at least he's being honest about why he's thinking about it :eek: :D

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Lance must be missing the spotlight and accolades already. Just another Cher. Hope if he returns that he will remain clean.

20. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

i hope he wins one more time just to piss off the french