Languages

Discussion in 'Community' started by tazo, May 23, 2003.

1. macrumors 68040

tazo

Do you speak more than one language? If so do you ever use them?

I am in my third year of Spanish, and am taking a fourth next year.

Today I really made a breakthrough in the language, when I was chatting with a hispanic person at my school, in spanish, and him callling me a little green bitch. :) A true breakthrough when the cultural and oral boundaries are broken down by swearing. :eek: :)

so what languages does everyone know beside their native one?

2. macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i speak spanish and english of course.

i am currently working on italian and german.

next yr i start with french.

3. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Well, I think for many people here who are not from the US or the UK, they're speaking their native tongue, but it's foreign to everyone else. Just a thought for when throwing around terms like "foreign language" :)

As for me, I understand a touch of Russian, French and Gaeilge (trying to learn that one right now) and have a pretty good working knowledge of German.

4. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

english, and i can understand some french, though not if spoken by a fast speaking french or canadian person. :)

i can speak it some too, but i've never been one for putting on accents, so i'm not great at it.

5. macrumors 68040

mactastic

How about "Who speaks more than one language?"
    I spoke german sort of, but then stopped and have forgotten most of it. Oh and I learned how to swear like a sailor in spanish from working in a restaurant with a bunch of crazy mexican guys.

6. job
    macrumors 68040

job

I speak German and English fluently.

If anyone cares...

7. macrumors P6

wdlove

I didn't take any foreign any foreign languages. Worked with 2 ladies that spoke & write Spanish fluently. One was born with English and the other was born with Spanish. They tried to teach me some Spanish. I leaned a few words to read & speak being around them for 5 years!

8. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

German, some French (Ican read it well, but have a hard time understanding and speaking it) basic Spanish. I think it's cool that Spanish is so prevalent in the US, especially in CA. Through constant exposure, I pick up a little bit more every month.

9. macrumors 6502

Hmm besides English, i speak Afrikaans fluently. I can understand Flemish, and if spoken slowly Dutch. Also basic French and basic Xhosa.

I wanna improve the fench and pick up Spanish.(if i get the time :) ) And at some stage in the future i also wanna pick up Arabic and Persian. Lots to learn, so little time :)

10. macrumors 65816

billyboy

One of my old English teachers used to wander in to our Latin class and speak Latin to the frosty old Classics teacher. They were both about as ancient as Julius Caesar and sounded half convincing until one of them mentioned something about his car. Noone could fault them on their accents though.

Having struggled for 5 years with Latin, my reward was a scary grasp of grammar, and with an ear for languages, consequently French, German and Spanish came quite easily. Trouble is, now living in Spain I forget the English words sometimes. Not too useful for an English teacher.

11. macrumors 65816

melchior

english, japanese, german and italian. sometimes i wish i could speak freak and spanish since they are much more common (except for english) but i just don't get into them at all. japanese just takes me over.

i can kind of get by on russian and i am going learn some danish since well... i'm goiing to be in denmark towards the end of this year.

12. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

French BA w/ Spanish minor...and it's a damn shame I don't get to use either one enough. :(

13. thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

My 2nd year spanish teacher used to be like that, speaking pretty good english (she used to tell the greatest stories, albeit always on tangents) but always very quickly in spanish. Sometimes that happens to me, and instead of saying something in english I will say it in spanish. :p kinda embarassing :p a friend will be like 'are you taking the bus?" and i will be like "el autobus?" augh. course they all take spanish so they understand. not that all my friends speak spanish. And I digress....

tazo

14. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Of course, I speak English fluently. And, also, I am in my first year of spanish.

15. macrumors 65816

melchior

languages are great, but they can be difficult to get into. if you don't have a passion for it or some interest you will never work hard enough to make it really as rewarding as it could be.

it's all about motivation. just have to find your motivation.

oh and the bit about mixing up languages... i used to be a real grammar and spelling zealot (in english) and well, damned if i don't sound like a foreigner speaking my native tongue. at least i can still write, but speaking english is too fast for me :rolleyes: parents don't even recognise my voice anymore

16. macrumors 603

shadowfax

where did you learn it, and how do you stay fluent?
    don't be cynical. it's very unbecoming. ;)

17. macrumors 6502a

i spoke italian and something else (not english) as my home languages.

furthermore, i speak spanish, english and portuguese. (and 2 useless languages) and 2 dialects. :rolleyes:

18. macrumors 603

shadowfax

doesn't that ever get confusing? i mean, most of the trilingual people i know end up speking a mix of the three languages they know, at least when talking to people who know the same languages. it really weirds me out.

19. thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

me and my friend mix spanish and french every once and a while. i speak like 100 words of french, and a ton of spanish, he knows about 50 spanish words, and about 2 years worth of french

20. macrumors 65816

melchior

it's not really confusing it's just... well, i find anyway, if i get that 'on the tip of my tongue' feeling it gets replaced with another language. and some things come naturally as reactions when you get used to them. really basic words like 'what?' i can say the wrong language sometimes without thinking.

if i ever do mix languages i catch myself doing and correct it, i guess it could be embarassing, but it's never happened in a situation where it could be.

21. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

English, Japanese, and Hindi (the most common Indian language, for those of you who don't know). Although I am Indian, I live in Japan and go to an international school, and I get the least time with Hindi. So I'm the most fluent in English, then Japanese, then Hindi. I can speak/read/write English and Japanese perfectly, but I can only speak Hindi.

irmongoose

22. macrumors 65816

melchior

irmongoose, sashiburi! dou****ano?

23. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Nani ga sashiburi dayo? I mean, atta koto aru? Dare anta?

irmongoose

24. mim
    macrumors 6502

Not only is everyone really well travelled, but everyone ('cept me.....sob) speaks more than one language!

What an educated lot.

I did work in Germany for a while, and picked up enough of the language to get by - but the only phase I can remember now is "Du bist meine kleine zuckerstucken" which served me well enough :p

When travelling I'm always suprised by how well two people with no common language can communicate by guesturing and pointing.

25. thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

Arigato :eek: