Lap-usage and Testicular Health

Discussion in 'Community' started by efoto, Feb 13, 2005.

1. efoto macrumors 68030

So I head home this weekend to visit with the family during a pseudo-reunion of sorts. My aunt who is a nurse sees me computing on my new Mac on the sofa and starts lecturing me as to how having a laptop actually on my lap has been proven to be quite harmful. She goes on about all these studies that have been done that 'super'-heating your testies can be quite bad for them longterm.

So this has little point other than to see what you all have heard or read about this topic. I can see her point and I am sure that having a laptop directly over my nuts is probably not the best idea, however having it on my thighs doesn't seem to be that big of a problem.

Thoughts, ideas, comments....no questions please, I don't have your answer.

2. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I'm not really sure that there would be any real long term effect simply from overheating your testicles; while i can see how it could lower sperm count temporarily as sperm need a temperature a couple degrees below body temp to develop, but if you give up using the laptop on your lap for a day or two you should all set...

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You could build a fan into your shorts.

Or tie a heat sink to the boys.

Or just push the laptop forward a few inches*

* actual length of push varies for each user.

4. DaiKirai macrumors member

Wasn't there a news article a while back on a guy whose laptop got hot enough to clinically burn his scrotum?

I believe it was a Dell. :D

5. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I'll just say I'm glad I never actually use my laptop on my lap...

6. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

i heard of this before, there was a researcher who published a paper on laptop use and sperm count.

it can temporarily reduce your sperm count as well as potentially causing permanent damage to your testes.

7. therevolution macrumors 6502

Yes, this was making the rounds on news sites a couple of months ago.

Here's one article citing the recent study.

8. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

But then I wouldn't be able to reach my keyboard! :p :p

9. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Hey Killuminati? is that your Halo name as well? I've palyed with someone who has that name a few times now.

10. mpw Guest

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The scrotum is in the position it is because heat damages the sperm. Being outside of the abdomen lowers that temperature and increases the production of healthy sperm. Anything that increases the temperature of your testicles will do them damage when it comes to healthy sperm production.

Especially if you are using a PowerBook it is recommended not to have it near your body. A burn can occur, so some mechanical pad should be used that still allows for cooling of the PowerBook.

12. angelneo macrumors 68000

I heard that being a cab driver and sitting in the driver seat for too long frequently can hurt your sperm production as well. Maybe its the same idea as heat is accumulated for too long?

13. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

haha yes it is. I go by {FH}Fish now though. Whats your name?

14. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Perhaps we can develop some liquid cooling techonology for the shorts.

15. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

god, how many threads have there been about people's balls in the past week...

16. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I know, thats all I ever read about here. Everyday I come here waiting to see what some guy did to his little boys today. :p

17. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

Ha, I go off to do homework and come back and there are 15 posts....I thought this would have been written off for craziness :p I guess there are a few of you out there that want to preserve your future as I do.

I did assume that scooting the PB forward a little on the lap would rectify the bulk of the problem. I did not find it comfortable when actually overtop of my testes anyway so placing it further out on the thighs actually makes much more sense to me (long arms or long ....., you decide).

Anyway, interesting info everyone, thanks for asking.
    No pictures please :rolleyes:

Edit: I cannot count either, it was 16 posts. I have read this edit four times in the last few threads, its a mis-count epidemic.....*cough Florida cough*. Sorry, it just fit soooo well.

18. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

There was very funny thread about how often and how healthy masturbation is ... now laptops on the nuts, that's more interesting, I used to have it on my lap in the train but now there are tables!! that's better! I have already 2 kids but you never know what you wish in a couple of months ;) ... laptops on the lap burn the future...

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Maybe your elbows are getting in the way! :eek: :D

(Hint, thinking in reverse)

Sushi

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

This happens to be a popular subject, happens to be personal. Popular subjects just never seem to die.

21. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Popular subject

Not only is the subject matter popular and oft repeated, the same warnings come out time and again.
    Laptop use (on the lap) can cause a reduction in healthy sperm count.
    Laptop use (on the lap) can cause a burn reaction to the thighs. This is not just from an abnormally hot laptop, it may feel comfortably warm but iver time, the heat released has been shown to result in 1st and even 2nd degree burns (the nasty looking blistery ones).
    Protection of these body parts by using the laptop (on the lap) on a pillow is detrimental to the laptop due to the obstruction of cooling air flow.
    If you must use the laptop in your lap, get a hard surfaced device that will still allow for airflow.

22. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

This leaves me trying to imagine just how much psychological damage it would do for my aunt to discuss my testicular health with me. :eek:

23. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

I had to get over this with time. She was discussing everything with everyone from our family and it got to the point where we just started to accept it. I have had shingles recently (horrid things, pray you don't get them) and she proceeded to to ask to see them in the middle of family dinner. I still had on sweats and a t-shirt (being ill is great when you go back to mom's, takes such good care of you) from being idle all day. Anyway, not just her but everyone else including cousins and grandparents get to see the shingles because my aunt won't let them go til after dinner :p

Oh well, some things just never change.

Her actually mentioning testicles in my direction without them being a topic of previous discussion is actually quite disconcerting.

24. jaromski macrumors regular

jaromski

well there are benefits of this too. a normal male of the species produces several million (maybe even more) sperm in a given lifetime. given that you only need a few of 'em to get the job done that is a pretty good chance for success. and it saves on the prophylactics to boot!

so once you factor in the cost savings, not to mention, fewer births worldwide, is this such a travesty? i don't think so.

-jaromski

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

IIRC, there are several million sperm in each ejaculation.