Laptop Battery Question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by emotion, Oct 18, 2004.

1. macrumors 68040

emotion

I thought I knew the answer to this but a colleague has just sown the seeds of doubt in my mind.

Best way to treat a laptop battery for long lifetime?

Whenever possible charge fully then discharge fully (might not be completely necessary with Li-Ion but can't harm).

When it has fully charged on my desk should I unplug and let the battery discharge as I use or is it ok to just leave it plugged in?

My colleague says I should unplug. I think there's logic in the laptop/battery that prevents damage when it's reached the fully charged state.

Who's right?

2. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

3. macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    Well its been proven that they can be just fine after many recharging cylces... Its ok to leave it pluged in the Newer batterys have been made to not allow it to "over charge" the batt... Now if you have a lead-acid Batt you need to upgrade :rolleyes: ... But you sould be good, the batterys will not be affect that much ether way...

4. thread starter macrumors 68040

emotion

thanks guys.

just as i thought. with some extra info too so i have a smugness advantage now

cheers

5. JLS
    macrumors 6502

I have several laptops, and in the interest of science I left one battery in (while they where plugged in to the mains) and one out. After 12 months, the one with the battery constantly in has completely messed up, and holds only 25 MINS charge! The other one was used every so often, and has the full 2 hour life (the same as when I got it).

So.. I say, unplug battery when on the mains for extended periods of times.

6. macrumors 601

cb911

interesting... i leave my PB plugged in at home almost for a week straight, and then use it off the battery once a week.

i might take the battery out when i've got it plugged in for extended periods. but then again, with the battery in, it's like a built in UPS. ;) handy in a blackout. or maybe i should just start using my laptop like a laptop. now that i've got AirPort setup, i dont' know why i'm still sitting at my desk the whole time?