Laptop case/bag for Powerbook 15"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by synergy, Dec 4, 2003.

1. synergy macrumors regular

Just got a new powerbook G4 15.2" laptop.
    Very nice machine.
    What is a good laptop bag/case for this laptop?
    I am not looking to carry a whole bunch of stuff with the laptop, just something to carry the laptop and a few small accesories like CDs, cords, etc. etc.

Thanks

2. Prabz macrumors member

Hey!
    I have the waterfield RacerX for my 1.25Ghz 15in AluPB... Love it for the following reasons:
    1) Simple, elegant, light and compact design.
    2) Snug, extremely well padded interior to protect my *precious* from all sides. The best I have seen in a laptop bag ever, period.
    3) Great shoulder support and the handle grip feels awesome---secure yet comfortable. In fact I have held it in my hand while walking long distances around the campus and never once has my hand got tired!
    4) Separate compartment to hold the power adapter, my firewire drive, the mouse, headphones etc. The PB, is thus effectively isolated from everything else, which prevents the lid from digging into the keyboard.

The only con is the price which (including shipping) is $139---rather expensive for some people. But hey, I figured since I spent $2200 on my Powerbook, its totally worth the extravagence...:rolleyes:

Search around here on macrumors for other bags as well. I believe Acmemade, Crumpler, InCase and TomBihn are great companies too.

3. JulesK macrumors 6502

Racer-X Question

Prabz - How's the Racer-X for protection from a drop? I actually corresponded with Gary at Waterfield Designs, and it sounds like what is really there is about 4mm of Neoprene (the sleeve, basically), with a lexan outer case and some foam (1/8 inch) beneath. That didn't sound like a whole lot to me compared to Tenba and Brenthaven bags I've owned, so I wanted to get some other opinions.

Thanks!

Julian

4. synergy thread starter macrumors regular

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I like Crumpler

I bought a "Very Busy Man" bag second-hand, and I love it. The laptop pocket protects my powerbook exceptionally well. The bag holds everything I want to carry, and has lots of pockets. The construction seems first-rate in all aspects.

But the biggest sell, in my opinion, is that uses a fold-over flap to close the bag. I live in the soggy Pacific Northwest, and zippers just don't always cut it when it comes to rain protection. This bag keeps EVERYTHING dry.

They sell smaller bags too, like the McBain's Lovechild. "Smaller" in this case refers to the amount of extra crap, er make that very important stuff, the bag will hold in addition to your Powerbook.

Plus you just gotta love the way they name things.

http://www.crumplerusa.com

6. absurdio macrumors 6502

i'm looking for a bag, myself (see other thread), though i'm hoping for something a little more riddiculously huge than it sounds like you are.

all the same, i've run into a couple of really sleek bags i'd love to have if not for their inability to also hold all the rest of my ****.

One's the incase backpack: http://www.incasedesigns.com/DetailLaptopPackBack.php

And the incase sling pack: http://www.incasedesigns.com/DetailLaptopPackSling.php

And the Brenthaven 15 inch bag looks pretty great, but also not cavernous enough for my purposes.

If it weren't for my need to lug a pile of books around, I would almost certainly get one of those three. In fact, I kindof wish I DIDN'T want to simultaneously carry my powerbook and school books, just so that i COULD reasonably get one of those three. but alas.

anyhow, hope that helped.

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I just ordered a Brenthaven Professional 15" backpack for my PowerBook on Friday, I should have it tomorrow so I can give you a heads up on how it is. From the PDF, it looks like one hell of a nice case and I love the build quality on the shoulder bags that I've seen in stores, so I am pretty excited to see how it fits.

8. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

I think I have posted about 9 times about this... but I love my Tom Bihn Brain Cell. For Christmas I'm getting the ID messenger bag that is form fitting around the Brain Cell for double the protection. An excellent sleeve for an excellent laptop.

www.tombihn.com