Laptop choices

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by misterman8, Jul 28, 2005.

1. misterman8 macrumors member

I know that about once a week there is a thread like this but none have really addressed all of the questions I have, so please forgive me if this feels repetitive to y’all.

I am going to grad school this fall. I am going to spending a fair amount of time typing and working on SPSS (a stats database for social sciences) when I am done with the course work I have to write my dissertation. I tried out the iBooks and PB’s at Compusa and I like the bigger screened versions better, 14”-15”, but mostly because I felt my hands were more comfortable on those keyboards, and I am guessing the eyestrain will be better on a bigger screen. I would just use an exterenal keyboard but that kind of ruins the whole portability thing that I also want. I keep reading that the 14” iBook screen is kind of bad, and I don’t really know why I would spend $500 more on a PB that I don’t really need. Should I just get a 12" and deal. What do you all think? Like I said this is mostly for long periods of typing and internet research, sometimes SPSS, and a music server.

2. zeeko macrumors member

i would go for the 12" ibook, get the screen spanning hack and an external monitor, and wireless keyboard/mouse (and you will still have more money left over) as opposed to buying the 12" powerbook.

3. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

If it's going to be lond periods of typing, wouldn't a bigger screen be better? I would reccomend the 14" iBook, as I really enjoy the larger screen, and it just feels better! An dnow what a brilliant time to buy, with the new iBook updates, I would definately go for an iBook over a powerbook, but for the screen size, it's how you would feel looking at a smaller screen for "long periods".

If I would you, if you know someone who has a 12", ask them to borrow it for a day, just to see how it would feel like, as you can't really do a lot in the shops. If not, go into a shop, and open up a text document, and just start typing, so you can get a better feel for the sizes.

::20ROGERSC::

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I use my PB for grad school right now. I have an APple Wireless Keyboard set up in my room and that works well because it does get a little bit old typing on a laptop keyboard. Griffin makes this thing called iCurve that holds your laptop up at a better height to see the screen and you can use an external mouse and keyboard.

I think using an external monitor might be a good choice for you too, if you did that, I'd get the 12" iBook (cause you get the best portability) and then use the external monitor, keyboard and mouse in your room and you have a good setup for there too. But you could do that just as well with the 14". I don't know if this helped at all.

5. misterman8 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the advice. The bigger screen does sound better, my biggest problem with the 12" books is the fact that my hands hang off the keyboard and its kind of uncomfortable. I really don't want to have to rely on an external keyboard because I would like to be able to go to the library or coffee shop and type and not half to lug around a keyboard.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Just to defend the 12" a bit here. I used to have a 14" PowerBook (Pismo) and replaced that with a 12" iBook. I've been using both extensively for taking notes at College/University. Often up to 3 double lectures in a row (6 hours), and the screen and keyboard/handrests are perfect.

If you plan to drag it around everywhere then the 12" is your only option. The 14" is just a little bit to big and heavy for comfort. The 12" is - again - perfect.