Laptop conflict! I need some advice....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ceruleanventure, Nov 9, 2006.

1. ceruleanventure macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

Ok, I need a laptop for my upcoming semester abroad (And it has to be a mac of course!) I have a flexible budget, but I'm torn between a upgraded refurb CD black macbook or a refurb 15 inch CD macbook pro. My problem is:

I'm worried about the intergrated graphics of the macbook, but I am also worried about the size of macbook pro. I'm used to my old 12 inch ibook, and am worried the macbook pro is just too large for traveling. My other issue is that I have enough in the budget to upgrade the macbook with 2 gbs of RAM, but not enougth to get BOTH the RAM and the macbook pro. Right now my intel iMac is dying with only 512 mbs of RAM. But I still want a dedicated video card!

I just want to hear what people have to say about my conflict, and give any advice they can. I don't want to just bash either model. I want to know if people have used either model for travel and their experiences! Thanks

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Can you tell us a bit more about what you plan to do with your machine?

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I use my MBP at school and carry it around all day, and it's not that much worse than my iBook. I'm just a lot more careful with it >_>. I'd say go for the MBP, if you're worried about integrated graphics then go for the MacBook Pro, even if you don't use the dedicated graphics card that much, if there's ever a time you do need it, then you have it, with the macbook you don't. Anyways, could you afford to get an extra 1GB of memory for the MBP, I've seen it go for around $100 a couple days ago. It should be fine with 1.5GB, although my CD iMac dies with 512MB, that's why I try to use it as little as possible. If you absolutely can't afford the extra memory, then go for the macbook, the RAM means that much and will probably mean more once leopard comes.

4. ceruleanventure thread starter macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

We're required to have laptops for:

Light to Moderate video and image editing
    Email
    HW (word,powerpoint etc)
    Research projects
    Possible projects/presentations for the internship

*Mobility is a huge factor for me, since we'll be going all over Europe. Like for my Shakespeare class, we're going to travel to plays and need to record our experiences. Also, I plan on taking a boat load of photos and video clips just for fun... so I need a very versitile yet powerful mac. I've never used eiter machine, so I don't know what to expect from them

Thanks Wildcowboy

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Hmmm...I primarily used a 12" iBook for three years, and have been using a 15" PowerBook for the last two years. I find both of them to be pretty portable, but the iBook was definitely lighter.

Mobility sounds like a big issue for you, so I'd be really tempted to go with the maxed-out MacBook. It won't be quite as powerful as the MBP, but I think it'll be a solid machine and will give you that extra portability you're looking for.

6. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

MacBook, definitely. Not only is it more portable, but you don't have to baby it; it's got a nice hard shell! When you're traveling a lot, it's a pain to take care of your easily-dented, way-expensive MBP.

Get a macbook, max out the RAM, and you'll never look back!

7. MAcNIAC macrumors regular

i had the same dilema, i have a 12" ibook and wanted to update. I carry my laptop all day, every day so portability was important. I also wanted a laptop that could do anything i might want it to (including playing games, image editing from a DSLR, etc.)

I was concerned about carrying a 15" laptop, but i figured i carry it in a backpack anyway... what really convinced me was going to the apple shop, and putting a MB up against a MBP - not as much size difference as you'd think and weight difference was minimal (to me anyway). So I went for the MBP.

Anyway MBs are great machines - probably more durable than MBPs, and a better (marginally) size for carrying all day, and now with C2D they may be cooler (like the MBPs). But if games or 3D authoring are important to you - then the MBP is the way to go.

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

MBP 15" is just slightly heavier than MB, so I think you'll be better with a MBP. Plus, black casing of MB is so easily filled with finderprints and small scratches! Aluminium case of MBP doesnt scratch as easily.

9. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I had a 12" PowerBook which I carried around in my backpack inside a Neoprene sleeve.

When I sold it a year and a half later, it was in pristine condition. That was despite it being used every day and being thrown around like a beachball.

Well worth the £20 or so.

10. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

If I were you, I would go with MB and get the 2 gigs of RAM. It isn't much lighter than the MBP, but it is smaller. If you are going to be traveling a lot which you are, that size difference might make a difference. Plus, the MB has better battery life.

11. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Is that a fact?!? I'm almost positive the MBP scratches more easily.

Well, OP, this teaches you a lesson- take everything people say on these forums with a big grain of salt. Even two people who know a ton about Macs might tell you opposite things!

12. ceruleanventure thread starter macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

Wow, thanks for all the responses :D

I'm definitely leaning towards a maxed out MB now, but I am certainly going to visit the local Apple Store over Thanksgiving break and compare them side to side. Since we'll be traveling all over the place, I don't see gaming as being very important, and when I come back home, I'll have my iMac for that.

I still am confused which casing is more prone to scratching though....
    But I do intend to get a sleeve like you guys suggested.

Thanks again

13. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

The situation is that both are prone to scratching.

You'll only have to look at the MacBook for it to scratch although the white is worse than the black from all accounts. The issue is though that the scratches are very fine and they're not all that noticable - until you hold the light at a certain angle!

The Macbook Pro on the other hand is a lot more prone to other issues; dented cases affected me - scratches (Although it probably takes more force but nevertheless it happens) and basically the price tag means that you'll be trying to keep it perfect which just can't happen.

I would go for the Macbook however like you said. It's certainly more durable and appropriate for your needs - plus, its very powerful.

14. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

FWIW, I ordered the C2D MB today, w/ the upgraded 2MB RAM. Performance should be great, it'll be 64-bit ready for Leopard, etc., and saved some $$$ from the MBP. Of course, for more intensive duties, I also spent the rest of the kids' inheritance on a refurbed 24" iMac for my home office. The MB will be used by all, mainly the woman & critters for email, web, digital photography, reports, etc. and then be able to travel w/ us/me whenever needed. Sooooo :cool:

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Macbook with the maxed out ram. I've had a 12" PB for almost two years, no scratches (well, a couple on the bottom) but it does have a dent in the right front corner. Portability is important and a 15"er could really be a hassle when traveling.

16. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

MacBook with maxed out RAM for sure. You will get more mileage out of the extra RAM than the video card even for editing. The video card will affect Animation and 3D much more than rendering. I would even urge you to consider a refurb white MB to save a little more and then you can get a larger drive and swap it out or get a portable external, that is if your video editing needs warrant it.

17. starlabs macrumors member

Get the MacBook... for what you'll be doing sounds like you'll be needing a lot of ram and a lot of disk space (video editing? you bet!)

The money you save in getting the MB vs the MBP will go a lot towards 2GB RAM and a bigger hd (spring for 160gb if you can afford it).