Laptop Cooling fan for 15 inch MacBookPro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mojo67821, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Mojo67821 macrumors regular

Hey everyone. I'm looking for some type of attachment to for my macbook pro to keep it cool... as the thing gets hotter than a mofo when not elevated.

at the moment I just prop it up on two small pieces of wood, and run a fan underneath from behind. For anyone on a budget, this works wonders... while doing this it's actually cool to the touch. For mobile use however, it's not incredibly feasible.

I'm looking for a few things... something that's as non-intrusive as possible, usb powered (or battery), and I would like it to fit on my machine (which is widescreen, wasn't sure if most of them were w/s compatible). I have seen some that have built in extra usb and firewire ports, and I'd like to know if these features are reliable.

Has anyone got a laptop cooling system that works for them? I'd like something that would be sensible for a coffee shop or a plain ride.

Thanks!

2. Jonnyboy444 macrumors newbie

Attached Files:

3. Mojo67821 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, that does look pretty nice. I've seen several similar products, does anyone have any experience with these notebook cooling systems?

4. Moshiiii macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

I've got an Icurve and its deffinatly made my MBP run cooler without any extra fans.

Edit: Didn't read that you wanted something portable.

5. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I have a cooling pad for my PowerBook. It has two variable speed fans and can be powered off a USB port. It also has a 4-port USB hub, but you have to run it off AC to use that. I keep my PB on 24/7 for Folding, and I always leave it on the lap pad. It seems to work well, keeps the PB fans from coming on, and provides some nice white noise to sleep by.

If I remember, I'll post the brand when I get home tonight.

6. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Cooling pads prolong computer life, as well as cooling them down. Very good purchase. Too bad it just decreases the sexy factor just a tad.

7. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Well, about the only thing you could put next to a Mac laptop that wouldn't decrease the sexy factor would be Salma Hayek.;)

8. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Titan Serina

My aunt uses the "Titan Serina" and she swears by it. She travels a lot for work and uses it in hotels, airports etc. Apparently, the best place to pick one up is on ebay.

Good luck.

9. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

heeheheheh.

10. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

I use a PodiumPad with my iBook, and it cools it down almost as well as the iCurve does. Plenty portable too!

11. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

I use Lapcool by Vantec.
    They have a variety to choose from, what I like the most is that it has two
    fans when it gets real hot and a usb hub built in.

12. lezer23 macrumors newbie

Homemade coolerpad

If you buy cookiesheets at target, they are exactly the same size as the 15" Then, you can stick up to five fans connected by wire ties, pop in a DC power supply and there you go dirt cheap cooler pad, works great too! Ill post pic if you guys want em.

13. Mojo67821 thread starter macrumors regular

wow, and I thought my current setup is ghetto! That's awesome. There are some good suggestions here... does anyone know of any stores that carry these products? I'm sick of ordering stuff online and waiting a year to recieve it. Near me there is a circuit city, best buy, walmart, compusa... do any of these places carry laptop cooling pads?

14. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

:confused: I guess I will make it easy on you.

Search using "laptop cooler"

Best Buy
    Circuit City
    Comp usa

Now choose pick up and check availability at your store.

15. bruf macrumors member

I've looked at all the products mentioned in this topic and none seems to be the proper size for a MacBook Pro, except maybe the iLap. All the pads are shorter in width than the MBP, even the newer ones like the Vantec and the Titan.

So my question is, do you actually use it with an MBP or with a PowerBook/iBook?

Thanks,

16. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

People are actually having to cool their MBP's with external fans? That's insane! Shouldn't the MBP be capable of keeping itself cool? All the laptops I've ever owned have, but I've not owned a Mac laptop yet.

17. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I'm using the Vantec Lapcool2 with my 15" PB G4. It is a little smaller, true; but since it is also quite a bit uglier, I don't mind the fact that the PB hides it pretty well. It works.:)

EDIT: It also has rubber feet on top to keep your laptop in place, plus swivel legs on the bottom to tilt the lap pad forward at a better angle for typing. My most useful (and most oft-used) PB accessory by far.

18. Sammie2u macrumors newbie

Question...

Does a laptop cooler actually do anything to cool down the interior of the computer or just make the outside cool to touch?

19. bruf macrumors member

Haha indeed it's not so bad after all. Thanks for the reply, it's good to know that you can hook a wider laptop on it.

20. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

It does both, at least for my PB. Also keeps the internal fan from coming on, so there's less wear and tear on it.

21. Mojo67821 thread starter macrumors regular

To be honest this is the first laptop I've ever owned. All I know is that when I use it for more than 10 minutes it gets hotter than a bastard. Almost too hot to touch at all. I began to worry that the insides were going to warp or melt or something. again, I've never owned a laptop before so I'm just going with the "better safe than sorry" approach. I assume my mbp has an internal fan, but I've never heard it running so I really couldn't tell you.

I have heard that the aluminum design is made to suck the heat away from the inside, which would inturn leave the outside very hot.... but it was still concerning me.

Running a fan on it keeps it cool to the touch... and considering that I use it for pretty extensive video editing for 3-4 hours at a time, I figure I'm doing something good to extend the life of the computer.

22. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I don't recommend the Antec pad. It looks nice, but there are 2 flaws with it.

1) The laptop slides a lot on it, very annoying
    2) It doesn't lower the heat that much, in fact I didn't notice a difference

I did find a much better solution that actually works. I just have a small desk fan to the left of my machine. My office gets warm, even with the AC cranking. With that fan not only does it keep me cool, but with it running over the case it lowers my MBP by about 15 degrees.

23. Mojo67821 thread starter macrumors regular

I basically have a similar setup right now with a desktop fan I bought at walmart for 5 dollars... but I'm looking for something that can be brought anywhere, and is easier to setup. I also want something that powers off of USB because I hate having extra things plugged in all the time.

24. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

I use a Targus Traveler CoolPad. It doesn't have a fan but it raises my PowerBook G4 15 inch up a bit so air flows better underneath the PB, plus it tilts it forward which makes it easier for keyboard use. Ah yeah, plus it's on a swivel base. I think I paid $14.95 At Staples, but I have seen them as low as $9.95

25. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

This may be weird looking, but it can bend around and might be what you're looking for.

[​IMG]
    :p