Laptop for College

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ll cool jh, May 16, 2004.

1. ll cool jh macrumors newbie

I've posted on here a few times before with good results, so I'll ask a few more questions. I was planning on waiting to decide whether I wanted a ibook or powerbook for college, or even possibly a pc laptop. However, I was accepted to do pre-frosh research this summer, so I will need a laptop by june 28th now. I won't be doing anything to computer intense, atleast I don't think so.

Will the powerbook be noticably faster than the ibook? I mean it only has 133 more mhz, a slightly faster bus, double the video memory, and faster ram, I think.

Are those differences worth a little over 200 dollars in cost?

Is the ibook really that much tougher than the powerbook? I keep fairly good care of my things, but I'd rather not have dents all over my computer.

Is the powerbook screen better than the ibook screen or are they basically the same?

I'm not too worried about the difference in battery life or airport reception, but if there is a huge difference between the two please let me know. So please offer any advice that you can. Keep in mind that I'll be using this for all 4 years in college and maybe afterwards. Ugh, I don't even know. Help!

2. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Tough one. You really can't go wrong with either one. The iBook is more sturdy, but you won't find that the powerbook is easily dented either. If you are going to move around a lot, then iBook. If you plan to use Airport, then iBook. If you plan to play games, do video editing or photoshop, then Powerbook. From your post, I would say that you'd be better off with the iBook. Save the $200 and use it to upgrade RAM etc.

Yep, I'd go with the iBook.

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY

3. Crikey macrumors 6502

From your post, it sounds like you're planning on the 1.2GHz iBook, which has a 14" screen, so that screen will be different from the one in the 12" PowerBook. (As for the question whether the 12" iBook and PowerBook screens are the same or different, I've heard claims both ways.) The 14" iBook is significantly bigger than the 12" PowerBook, and the screens do look somewhat different. I recommend putting in a few hours hands-on with both of them side-by-side and giving a lot of weight to your own impressions. They are both very usable notebooks, so go with what feels good and comfortable to you.

Cheers,

Crikey

4. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I've got to agree with JOD8FY. He's right. I'd go with the iBook. IMHO the PowerBook is really more for people who are going to do like photo editing and movie editing on the road. If you see yourself doing that down the line then the extra speed would be nice, but I dunno if it'd really be all that worth it. The iBook isn't really that far behind the PowerBooks. Infact I'm surprised that its just a few hundred MHz difference between the two. The iBook is cheaper. Depending on your sight get whatever screen you'd see better with. Good luck.

iBook

5. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

I was in the same place once. I was between the 14" ibook, and 12" pb. I got the 14" ibook, and well it was a great computer. BUT, i always yearned for the 12" becuase of size. The ibook had the same amount of power as the pb, but it was smaller, and that is the bigest factor when you are in school. You are most likly already going to be tugging around a bunch of books, so having a smaller computer that weights less is key. Now I am not saying that the 14" ibook is bulky, but the 12" pb is smaller.

So your best bet for school is a 12" computer. Now 12"ibook vs. 12" pb.

333 Mhz speed diffrence (33%)
    33 Mhz System bus diff.
    32 Mb video card diff.
    30 GB hard drive diff.
    The pb dose moniter spanning out of the box, the ibook you will void applecare to get moniter spanning.
    powerbook has built-in(free) airport,bluetooth (bluetooth is great to have builtin to a laptop, ie bluetooth mouse ect..)
    the screen is brighter on the powerbook(at least i think so)
    the metal is way cooler than white plastic.
    you can hook the powerbook up the a nice apple display.

the list could go on.. but i think that as a researcher (what kinda of research will you be doing?) you will enjoy the powerbook more.

btw.. i did get rid of my 14" ibook for a 12" powerbook.

6. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Earlier this year I was having to make the decision between 12" ibook and 12" pbook. I went with the ibook for four main reasons:

1) Cost
    2) Sturdier feeling
    3) 12" iBook display is FAR brighter than 12" pbook (I don't understand why...but I just happened to confirm this again today while browsing at CompUSA).
    4) (and least important) I feel the metal looks geeky compared to the white. Personal preference.

However, now that I'm thinking of getting into World of Warcraft when it comes out--I do wish I had a little more ooomph...but I imagine I'll just have to get a desktop for the ooomph I require (wanting a G5 for video editing).

I just disagree.

7. ll cool jh thread starter macrumors newbie

I realized I didn't make my first post very clear. I am considering either a 12" ibook with upgraded hd, airport, and bluetooth which makes it 200 less than the combo 12" powerbook. Thanks for the advice, anybody else know about the screen differences?