Laptop for my old "newbie" stepmom

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by birdMan, Jan 24, 2004.

1. birdMan macrumors newbie

Hey folks, my stepmom wants to get into computers, and I recently got my first mac this fall, and I was like, you should get one too. I figured the 14" iBook would be perfect. A good res so that she can see easily and its fairly durable and not too expensive. I was wondering the following things:

1. Has anyone done anything similar? She will be starting out completely new, so she will need to learn. I figure a Mac is the most intuitive and simple and therefore the best. Any thoughts? Unfortunately I am at School about 2500 miles away from her, so I will not be able to help her on it.

2. How to find someone who is going to get her started on it.

I guess I'm just looking for any stories from people who have gotten their mom's or someone like that a mac for a first computer and any triumphs or pitfalls they ran into.

Peace,
    Max

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I agree that the 14" would be best-- A larger display, even at the same resolution, seems to make new users more comfortable, they feel less constrained. As far as tutoring her, my suggestion would be to show her the most basics-- how to use the trackpad if necessary, opening applications, menus, window manipulation (closing and minimizing, as well as layered windows), file manipulation (creation, storing, moving). Really, the basics can be covered in a half hour... once she knows the basics, cut her loose on a clean install, explain to her that she really can't damage anything, and just to play around and try things. this is by far the fastest way to give someone an understanding of the way computers work, which will help them develop new skills on their own. After a few hours of exploring, with you to answer questions that she might have, she should be ready to go. If she did damage something, you can just do another clean install.

paul

3. Bodie macrumors member

Computer for your Mom...

Just a few thoughts:

1. If she is near an Apple store, I believe they have classes. Or perhaps a MUG in her area.

2. A factory refurbished iMac might be a good affordable alternative to the iBook. If you go iBook, get a mouse too. The track pad can be a bit clumsy sometimes.

3. There is a program called Timbuktu, that would allow you to view and control her desktop remotely, and vice-versa. I don't know if DSL would be required or just a dial-up. You can check it out at...

http://www.netopia.com/software/products/tb2/mac/

Happy exploring!

:)

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    good tip on the classes or the mac user group idea.

i have timbuktu, its great for controling a machine from miles away, i use it to control ftps in manila and in cali when im here in england. so if there are any problems normally if u can access her computer via timbuktu it can be taken care off, of course if its a network problem ur out of luck, timbuktu does run better on a dsl line, i wouldnt try on a 56 becuase what it does is it shows the screen of the remote computer onto urs and on a slow connection the lag can kill u.

i recommend u let her wet her feet on ur computer for the time being and get her used to it,by the time u get hers she will be somewhat comfortable withit