Laptop for University?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Tharkûn, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Tharkûn macrumors newbie

Mar 5, 2003

Firstly, I must say that is forum is very helpful and extensive.

But, now onto the problem.

I am going to University in about two years, but hopefully I can get a new Mac by the end of this year or beggining of next year. I have a uber crappy 667Mhz Compaq right now which isn't exactly the best. It gets the job done, but poorly and slowly. Anyway, I want to swtich. I would swtich because of Mac's reliabilty, efficiency and of course style.

However, I don't know which Mac to get. I have pondered it over and over. I'm not really sure if I need a laptop for university or not. If it will just become a hassle or not. I was opting to get a 15 or 17 inch powerbook as a desktop replacement, but found them to be expensive with all the add ons and such. So then I thought I'd rather get an ibook and an iMac and take advantage of wireless networking and extra reliabilty and portability. But now i'm doubting whether or not I should get the iBook. If I decide just to get the iMac, then i can get the best one with an ipod yada yada yada. Moreover, I would be able to get it earlier.

I'd deifinitely use the computer(s) for word processing, graphics editing, a little bit of everything I guess.

My budget is about $6000 to $7000 CDN (so about $100 US)

Any suggestions, help and advice is more than welcome

2. timbloom macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2002
    Re: Laptop for University?

I would suggest you hold onto your money for a little bit, if you don't need the machine for a couple years, your machine will have been updated about 3-4 times in between, and at least one major update.

Um, Canadian?! The conversion rate can't be that bad, I am guessing it is a typo..
  3. Tharkûn thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 5, 2003
    I was just kidding about the conversion rate :D Just to point out the the Canadian dollar is really low. Well at least ti was high for a little bit.

Anyway, thanks for your input.
  4. Wes macrumors 68020

Jun 22, 2001
    For those of you who want the conversion, I just flashed out Apple's Calculator, updated my exchange rates and $6000 Canadian = $4078.58 US
  5. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    you might want to get an ibook, save the rest, and upgrade in another 2 years instead of blowing it all on a 17" powerbook. BTW, wait until you get into university before you get the laptop because then you'll be eligible for an educational discount when you buy from the university's computer store.