Laptop Insurance Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Eomando, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Eomando macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I'm in the UK at the moment, but I'm going to be spending a couple of months abroad in Germany at a summer school, and I want to take my shiny new powerbook with me...

Do any of you have any recommendations for insurance companies? (Preferably covering accidental damage as well as theft). The most I've been able to find at the moment is "InsureandGo" for about £60 a year.. and another called "CCC" for £50... what worries me though is that the text of CCC's site is identical to InsureandGo's........ (I'm probably just paranoid after reading the thread about the macwhizstore scam.. ;) )

(links: InsureandGo: http://www.computer-insurance-uk.com/whatscovered.html and CCC: http://www.completecomputercover.com/inlink/?quote+IWIDE if anyone has any views on their reliability)

I'd really appreciate any pointers - the last thing I want is a stolen laptop and an insurance company that vanishes into thin air at first light!!

Eo.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Call your home contents insurer and ask if they offer a policy that will cover it.

Mine's through Woolwich/Barclays in the UK and although it's not advertised, when I called them, they offered a policy for £20 per year that covers my Powerbook at home, outside and abroad for theft and accidental damage.

3. Eomando thread starter macrumors member

That'd be the best advice I can follow, only I haven't any such thing to do - I'm a student, and my parents home insurance won't cover any of my losses abroad, but theirs would be covered.. I wish I was under 18 again! ;)

The people they have their home insurance with don't seem to do anything separate for computers too.. but you're right, I should call them up and ask what's possible. Ta! :)

4. Eomando thread starter macrumors member

Applespider, I owe you thanks!

Although Direct Line say nothing about it on their website, a brief phonecall by my mam, and apparently I'm covered for trips up to 60 days long, even though I'm not really living at home most of the time anyway..:D

Thanks indeed for just saving me £60 :)

5. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

I had the same thing when i ordered my Ibook. Finally figured - just gotta be specially careful with it and not let it outa my sight. Im already abroud so no insurance company will touch me and after the trouble ive been though to get it i really dont want any more hassle! In any case, none of the stupid australian companies i've talked too will cover me, there were a few that 'might' but it wasn't cheap :(.

Mark.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Glad it worked out - spend it on some great German beer. If you're anywhere near Dusseldorf, I recommend the Schlosser Alt