Laptop lock cables

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yg17, May 24, 2005.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm looking for a laptop lock cable for my iBook. I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks and don't really want to leave my iBook unlocked in the hotel while I'm gone, because with housekeeping going in and out of the room, plus its New York City which doesn't have the reputation of being the most crime-free place on earth.

Can anyone recommend a lock? I'm not looking for Area 51 security, I know a dedicated theif can still take my laptop, but just a good lock to stop housekeeping or someone who sees a laptop sitting out there. Thanks.

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I use a Kensington Microsaver with my PB at work. Easy on, easy off, deters casual thiefs from absconding with my laptop. Works.

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I would go ahead and get one, but don't plan on being to safe with it. Kevin Rose posted a video on his website of a guy getting one off with a roll of toilet paper.

The best lock to get would be the one that shuts down and password locks the bios when the lock is yanked. You'll need to check if there is a mac version.

4. Hugh Jass macrumors newbie

The Kensington Microsaver has the best bang for the buck. It's what I use and is a very nice lock. Street price is $30 to $35 shipped.

It fits my iBook snugly, which is nice. In my experience generic "one lock fits all" (i.e. made for PCs) will work with Apple notebooks but the fit is loose. Getting one made specific for Apple powerbooks and iBooks gives a tighter fit so the lock doesn't move around in the security slot.

5. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Get one of those screamer locks
    they are the only ones that work well
    they still can be popped off but they will still scream afterwards...
    all the others are next to useless,

6. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Thanks.

Anyone know of any stores that sell the Microsaver? Best Buy, Circuit City and CompUSA all show nothing on their site and I'd prefer to buy in store if possible.

Thanks.

7. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

lock it in your suit case. if you leave the laptop out and locked it is still a target. however, in a suitcase, it will just be a locked suitcase that won't attract anymore attention than normal.

9. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Could you make it down to West County? I can't imagine the Apple Store there not carrying some kind of lock.