Laptop Locks?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pdxappl, Aug 9, 2005.

1. pdxappl macrumors newbie

Aug 4, 2005
    I am taking my powerbook 1.67 GHZ to college, and am concerned about security. Does anyone have reccomendations or advice on securing a laptop? I am thinking about buying a Kensington lock, but it seems like it could be cut pretty easily. Any other ideas?
  2. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005

Are you talking about the Kensington lock that is black and has a combination lock? Because underneath all that is metal wiring.
  3. me_94501 macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2003
    Any lock you buy is but a deterrent; none is fail-safe. With that in mind, Kensington offers a lock where if it is broken and someone steals your laptop, you may be reimbursed up to $1500 to replace the laptop. There are some stipulations, however. I would suggest going to Kensington's site to learn more about it. Where I work, we recommend that customers not buy the combination locks. Users often mess up when setting the combination and bring them back, thinking they're defective. Each time, we manage to find the combination and it works.
  4. JonMaker macrumors regular

Apr 24, 2004
  5. stridey macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2005
    Massachusetts, Connecticut
    Honestly, I wouldn't bother with a lock. When it's in your room, lock the room, and when it's not in the room keep an eye on it. It's the only way to really be sure you won't get stolen from.
  6. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2005
    Brighton, UK
    I wouldn't bother with a lock. Just make sure you know where it is and just be sensible really - never leave a room without it etc...

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    pdxappl, I honestly wouldnt waste your money, it was one of the first things i bought with my laptop, and i never used it.