laptop monitor dead

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dadabase, Jan 6, 2004.

1. dadabase macrumors newbie

hi new member here
    the monitor on my tianium 15" goes a deep purple and dies after about 5minutes of use - does anyone have any links to info on this problem ? or to info on disabling the monitor so i can use an attached monitor without the inbuilt one recieving power - i am concerned that this could make the problem worse - a new monitor is outside of my budget

thanks for any assistance

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: laptop monitor dead

Yeah you can use an external monitor without ever needing the built in one.

Do you have renters or home owners insurance?

3. dadabase thread starter macrumors newbie

that sounds the go - do you know how i can put the laptops monitor to sleep while i use the attached monitor ?

i know i will need to keep the laptop open for heat reasons

also aware that using a usb keyboard and mouse should achieve this - doesnt work for me - do i need 10.3 to get this to work ?

no insurance - i bought this secondhand with insurance money when my pcg-c1 was stolen

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It doesn't work that way especially on the Titaniums. Just turn the brightness all the way down until it goes off.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

What on earth are you talking about? The Titaniums can most certainly operate with the lids closed.
    To accomplish this, start the computer up with an external keyboard and mouse attached. Right after you start it up (as quickly as you can after pressing the power button) close the lid. The machine will start up using only the external monitor (the LCD is completely disabled, including power).

You can also put the computer to sleep by closing the lid, and then connecting the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and then pressing any key on the keyboard. It will then also disable the LCD completely.

Make sure that when you do this that the power adapter is plugged in, or else the computer wont come out of sleep with the lid closed (weird Apple thing).

6. dadabase thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks crazzyeddie - i didnt have the powercord pluged in, so laptop wouldnt exclusivly use external monitor

being going through the numerous threads on 15 screen problems - but your tip will let me keep using the laptop, as a desktop, while i research this

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Well if you were to read the Titanium owners manual it says to never operate it with the lid less then 90 degrees open. This is because it vents through the keyboard. If you have the lid closed where is the heat suppose to go?

8. ginjg macrumors newbie

Re: laptop monitor dead

An external monitor is a good short term solution but you lose the portability. I'd definitely plan to have it repaired.

You mentioned that you're a new user.

Did you buy the tibook new, used or refurbished?

If used, ask the person you purchased it from if they had applecare and if its still in force - they may be able to give you the info so you can get it repaired.

If new or refurbished, you may still be under warranty, then you could have the problem fixed.

There are also predetermined flat rates for powerbook repairs if you send it in to apple. Or possibly the flat rates also apply to taking it to an Apple Store for repair.

9. dadabase thread starter macrumors newbie

yes your absolutly correct macbandit - the whole point is that the screen should be fully opened but turned off, with only the external monitor displaying, and now it is set up to do that - once i follow the startup detailed by crazzyeddie then all i have to do is open the lid and the display remains disabled as the computer is already awake -

ginjg thanks for the advice - the apple techs around here just say i need a new monitor - which is outside any budget i could throw together - currently my options seem to be - keep researching the screen problem and fix it myself or keep an eye out for a dead 15" for the parts - i got it from a reseller and only had 3mths warranty

should clarify i meant new user to this board -