Laptop or Desktops which do you think is better

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ToddW, Jul 15, 2004.

1. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Well, here it is I have been thinking lately about why do i really need a powerbook. Everytime I use my powerbook, it is on my desk. What do you guys think. I have been really thinking lately of seeing if anyone will trade their powermac for my powerbook.

2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

get out more then.... go in the garden and surf the net.....go to the park and write...or sit in the coffee shop and chat with people the other side of the world.... anyway you get the picture....

3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

And everytime I use my pb, I am on my couch, except when I am in school. So I guess I made the right choice :D

4. paulypants macrumors 6502a

paulypants

I've always felt that desktops were 'computers' and laptops were 'notebooks' -- things have changed as far as laptop performance
    over the last few years, however i still believe that desktops are
    best for heavy stuff and laptops are for light stuff. I've never used
    a laptop and felt that it was as strong as a desktop.

5. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

i generally think that im more productive with my g5 than my powerbook. but i think thats because of the environment more than the computer. i always do more work ina quiet environment where i can concentrate more, i always have better ideas then as well. Not that a laptop isnt useful, its just useful in a different way. Im not sure that i could ever be as productive with a powerbook. well i could but id have to plug in a mouse or put in through another monitor, and then you got a desktop!!!! :p

i do like my powerbook lots though! its great to have everything with you where ever you are. i take my current project everywhere i go so then if i get a good idea, i whip my prowerbook out and change the idea into a design much quicker than if i had to wait til i got home.

6. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

Notebooks are mainly for portability. If you dont need that, get a desktop.

7. goodwill macrumors regular

Thats a really tough call- but as far as apple and despite having a powerbook myself I am going to have to say the desktop if you strictly need performance and no portability obviously. The G5 is probably the greatest thing I have ever heard of and used since pong on atari.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Agreed desktops = power. But for me after my PB 12" I have a hard time thinking about desktops. Even though I feel that there is a PM G5 with my name on it out there.

9. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

depends on your needs.

what do you with your mac?

10. ToddW thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mostly iLife type things. Quicken, Office stuff like that. I only carry it with me when I travel and that is somewhat rare these days. I just figured out the two display thing so that is kind of nice. When VPC 7 comes out and is anygood..... I plan to use it for most of my school stuff when I am not at my desktop. For everday apps, the powerbook is as good if not better than my pc, the only thing my pc has over my powerbook, is the ability to use matlab and pspice and the gaming performance is really good. I really don't want to have to go get another license for the mac, as far as matlab is concerned. I work as an engineer full time and also am trying to finish up my MSEE. I was just thinking if i use my powerbook like a desktop, then why didn't i just get a desktop.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I love having a PB to take anywhere. With wi-fi I am able to sit on my balcony or go out to my backyard.