Laptop or Mini Desktop or Dun Dun Dun!!!! (look inside)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Lopez.T.H., Aug 19, 2005.

1. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

Im callin' out the mac Experts and Vets here.

Well I have a Desktop PC (im using it now) and a Mini would definately be the mose affordable. And I could always swap out the monitor and keyboard/mouse.

I have never had a laptop and an iBook would be sweet. I would also buy the AirPort Express. And it would go with me all over the place. I always wanted a laptop and the stabitlity of a Mac system on the go. (My PC is crapping out again.)

Well now for the Dun Dun Dun. A Sony Ps3. The possible price is $399 to $500. I want this system sooooooo bad.

I have enough for a Ps3 saved up now no matter what the price and about 2/3 of an iBook. And enough for a Mac Mini. I might be able to get some cash for Xmas if im willing to wait that long for a mac. The Ps3 comes out next spring of 2006. If I bought a Mac for Xmas all of my $ would be gone. And maybe upwards to my Birthday in June for a Ps3.

2. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

the PS3 wont be out for almost another year so I say go with the iBook unless you want to do games, then dont buy a mac :) If your just a normal user and use mostly internet, email, word, iphoto and stuff go with the ibook because it pretty much has the same specs of a mini and you take it anywhere :)

3. Lopez.T.H. thread starter macrumors regular

Well I do not plan to play games on a Mac if i get one. Im a begining Mac user. But it takes a while for me to save up cash. I dont get much very often. At the most i get about from $15 to $25 each week. Or every other week.

4. Lopez.T.H. thread starter macrumors regular

An iBook you get the portability and plus you get .08 more processing power. The base models (the one im most likely to get) have 512 RAM. The only thing lacking on the iBooks is the Hard Drive. 40GB will last a while but I plan on ripping and transfering my whole music collection. So maybe a 60GB HDD?

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Depends how big your music collection is. Mine takes up only 5.13 GBs, which is 1279 songs.

My suggestion? It is a tough call. You should probably go with the iBook because you seem to have a nice desire, for a notebook. They are a lot of fun and very convenient. Consider getting it on Amazon.com. They have a $100 rebate, which makes it just $899. If for some reason, you decide you don't want the portable, the Mac Mini is great too.

PS3. Well, that is a long time away. Furthermore, you never know, if they might push back its release an extra couple months. However, if that is your passion, it might be the way to go. You must decide.

Whatever you decide, you are going to have a pretty cool toy. If that is a Macintosh, I'm sure you'll appreciate an entirely new computing experience.

6. ajampam macrumors regular

ajampam

First of all your PCs giving you problems....so you need a computer....seems like no PS3 for now.....then come the question of protability vs usage vs budget.....if I were you though, I would go for an iBook...portabiilty is a key thing with me......

7. Lopez.T.H. thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I do have my mind set on a laptop. And I thank all of you for your help and advice. And for the iBook which screen size would you reccomend on getting? The base model has a 12" screen. That is fine because my PC monitor is only 15 inches.

8. Lopez.T.H. thread starter macrumors regular

And amazon.com's discount for an iBook is only $30. Not $100.

9. Lopez.T.H. thread starter macrumors regular

Are the graphics cards in iBooks upgradeable? because if I would want to get a game at sometime most likely the Sims 2. Would 32MB be sufficent or no?

10. risc macrumors 68030

risc

No

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Both iBook screens have the same resolution -- the reasons people tend to get one or the other:

- Get 12" because it's smaller and lighter
    - Get 14" because the small screen is hard to read (too high DPI), because they want a superdrive, or because they find the small form factor ergonomically difficult.

I'm in the former category, for what it's worth. I wouldn't have any interest in a 14" iBook....

12. Lopez.T.H. thread starter macrumors regular

A few new questions. Is there a way to turn off the bluetooth module that is now built in? so it doesnt suck up power. And which wireless adapter/router would you preferr. I have my eye on the AirPort Express I dig the AirTunes. What is the range of this thing? I plan to use my iBook for it and my PSP for web browsing and games.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes. You click on the bluetooth symbol in the menu bar (or go to system preferences) and select Turn Bluetooth Off. :) It's persistent -- if you set it that way, it will stay. And this will have a slight positive impact on power consumption (although BT is not so high power drain). :)

14. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

15. BiggeeC macrumors regular

Nah, Xbox 360 all the way

16. Lopez.T.H. thread starter macrumors regular

To get an Xbox 360 its gonna be around $700 to use one.

17. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

Uh, No. The prices are 299 and 399. Where have you been this week?

18. BiggeeC macrumors regular

And before anyone turns this into a PS3 v. 360 war................to each his own. But, the 360 is much easier to program on, and by the time PS3 comes out, the developers will have the 360 smoking. But, um, let's not start a war. And for all you PS3 fanboys that are going to say, "Look at Killzone 2!!!" I'll say this: What you saw was a demo. No games look that good. Just like every PS2 commercial out since the creation of the system. All they show is cut scenes, but the in game graphics are horrible. 360 has actual in game videos out now, and they look sweet. But again, let's not start a console war.

And to answer the original post.........don't go for the mini. PORTABLE BABY!!!

19. Lopez.T.H. thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, ok. The Xbox 360 is $100 extra for what is should have out of the box on the $299 model. The harddrive. Im done with that now. I still would rather have a PS3 than 360 cause im a Sony guy. Now I wont be getting this laptop for a while. Im under 18 and have no chrage card. So I have a little over half of the iBook saved up.... But then come the holidays im gonna be getting a little bit of money and my parents have aggreed to give me a couple hundred for it.

20. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Dont buy an airport base station they look nice and work very well but they cost quite alot. A linksys wireless router can cost less then 20 dollars.

21. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

If your a student, you can save close to $500 on a new iBook, so I suggest that you just purchase the iBook which currnetly is about the same price as the Mac Mini if you sell the iPod mini and Printer.

22. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

Well if you're into gaming, get a next gen console and a mac, thus rendering a PC useless. But a ps3? why buy a George Foreman grill when you can be playing Smash Bros. Online? Or a 360 since it's coming out so much earlier... then Smash Bros. Online...

23. Lopez.T.H. thread starter macrumors regular

Woa woa woa... Whats with saving $500 on an iBook???? My PC is doing fine for now. I havent checked this thread in a matter of hours because i erased my PC's hard drive and re-installed windows. So its working.... for now.

24. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i think you just proved a point for getting a mac ASAP!!!! heh. man, the last time i reinstalled my OS. . . oh wait, ive never reinstalled an OS on a mac, the only OS installation ive ever done is upgrading from 10.2 to 3 then 10.3 to 10.4 . . . never have i ever thought to myself "man, my computer is preforming so poorly i better reload my OS" (well i havent thought that for the past 3+ years ive been using macs, trust me i thought that a lot when i when i used a windows machine) id say go for the mini. you could get it soon and use it and enjoy it. then slowly save up money for the PS3 and come on, you will survive for a while if youre not the FIRST to get a PS3!!

25. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

If you're a student, get your price from the educational store. They have a deal right now (From www.apple.com)

"Buy a Mac. Get a free iPod mini. And with your everyday student discount save up to $479.* But act now. This offer is good only through September 24, 2005.

Here's how:

Shop for your Mac.
    The following computers qualify for this offer: all PowerBook models, all iMac models, all Power Mac models, and all iBook models excluding the 12-inch iBook CD.

Shop for your iPod.
    You can choose a 4GB iPod mini in any color. Or purchase a 6GB iPod mini, 20GB or 60GB iPod and save $179 after mail-in rebate.

Send in the rebate coupon.
    Download the rebate coupon. After you receive your order, just follow the instructions on the form and mail it in and you'll receive a check from Apple for $179.

Now start enjoying your new Mac, new iPod and all that extra cash you saved. Shop online today or call 1-800-MY-APPLE."