Laptop program to expand in grades 7-12

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Mar 13, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors 6502a

Aug 28, 2007
    I'm so sure the taxpayers are glad they are spending $100MM over the next four years so the kids can update their facebook accounts.
  3. macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2008
    Ditto the the Trillion'th (with a T) power!
  4. macrumors 6502

Oct 18, 2005
    Spending money on these assets is a great way to show expenditures against the budget. Whether or not that equates to an increase in education quality is rather quesetionable. I tend to think that, while important, computer skills are a secondary matter, and that primary education in logic, reasoning, etc. is much more pressing for today's youth.
  5. macrumors 68040

Feb 20, 2009
    East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
    This is 100% correct. Sadly, this article shows one of the problems with education in this country. People like to just throw money and technology at the problems, while overlooking the fundamental problems.
  6. macrumors 6502

Nov 12, 2007
    I believe (not certain) that Maine is a more affluent area than most of the country. I'm curious as to their student-teacher ratio. Here in Michigan, this type of program would irk me. I'd rather see the average classroom size shrink before laptops are given out to students.
  7. macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    I rarely say this, but: LOL. No offense intended, it's just that's not something you usually hear. ;) Maine is pretty far down on the list of affluent states, around 33 or so. It's mostly rural.