Laptop RAM Compatibility

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ashon3611, Aug 10, 2004.

1. ashon3611 macrumors member

Aug 8, 2004
    I am most likely going to be buying a PB within the next 4 months but i cant justify buying it and paying 100 bucks more just for them to intall a stick of 256MB RAM when i see laptop memory going for alot cheaper on the net and i could do the labor myself.

do apple PBs have a certain of type of memory, number of pins on the stick and memory speed that is only for macs or do other windows based laptops use the same type that apple installs into theirs that i can find like at a best buy or so?

anyone recommend a website for apple laptop memory?

I've installed random stuff into my compaq desktop (hard drives, cd-drives, memory) but never anything in an apple laptop. how difficult is it to install memory into a PB?

thnx in advance
  2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    Different Macs might use different types of RAM depending on their age, but it will all be either SDRAM or DDR SDRAM. If you want to see the exact RAM for the model you're interested in, I suggest checking out
    Not only do they have an easy-to-figure-out site for getting your RAM, but they are one of the most reasonable and reputable memory dealers.

Lee Tom