laptop running hot

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by clubmedia, May 28, 2002.

1. clubmedia macrumors regular

i have a g3 233 wallstreet and i think it is running hot, causing instability and crashes. what can i do to fix this?

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

How hot do you call hot?? Does the fan go on while it is powered up???

I use one of the Podium CoolPad's under my TiBook to give it better air flow under it. You might want to consider doing something along those lines as well. If the fan never goes on, and is powered up for several hours, I'd call Apple on it. I'd also suggest using a thermo to find out what the underside temp of the system is. You could also download a utility called GaugePro (can be found via version tracker ) that will give you an idea as to the temp on/under/around the processor.

You might need to send it in to Apple for repair, especially if the fan is not going on at all. I am pretty sure they have a flat rate for out of warranty powerbooks of around $350-$400 (max of $400). If anything else crops up within 90 days of you receiving your Mac back, they repair it for nothing.

3. clubmedia thread starter macrumors regular

yeah the fan is going strong right now, i keep it propted up to try to cool it off. i have no apple warranty left, so it would probably be cheaper to replace it unfortunately...

4. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Take it into a shop to get an estimate on how much it will cost to fix it. It might be something simple like it needs a new fan.

5. iGav macrumors G3

Just a guess, and I'm sure Alpha will be able to say whether this is a factor, but if you haven't done a reinstall in a while, or haven't run somekind of disc utilities to defrag your HD etc, it could be that the machine is working harder than it really needs too........ As I said I'm not sure if something like that would really contribute.... but it was just a thought......

with my TiBook, when I'm doing extensive rendering and especially now it's summer, my office gets hotter and hotter (no A/C) I have a little desktop fan that I direct at my TiBook to keep it cool........ works a treat....... :D

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Apple has a flat rate for laptops that are out of warranty, and older then the current TiBook line. It won't cost any more then $400 to get it repaired, and they might find other problems that need to be fixed.

What kind of temperatures have you been seeing??? It might be within the normal operating temperature and just seem to be too hot to you. System stability issues could be caused by MANY other things. When was the last time you ran utilities on it? If it has been longer then 3-6 months (like never) then do that. You might be surprised as to what drive fragmentation will do to your system.

BTW the utility I mentioned for checking out parts of your system can be found here . I would also make sure that your RAM is still good, that could be failing on you, or one chip could have gone bad.