Laptop shopping, interesting MacBook comment

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Madmic23, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

On the weekend, I went with my girlfriend and her parents to all the big box stores for some early Christmas shopping. Yes, she's crazy like that.

Anyways, her dad was looking to buy a laptop from Future Shop or Best Buy, so he was asking me a lot of questions in the two stores.

Being a reformed PC user, I still know a bit about the Windows world, and am keeping up to date on Vista, though I only use my iMac.

We went down the line looking at everything from Sony, to Acer, to Toshiba and HP. There was even a MacBook along the way, which her Dad pointed out and said "looks a little institutional don't you think? A doctor should be using that or something!"

I never really thought of it like that, but ya, the MacBook almost looked plain compared to some of the windows machines. Don't get me wrong, most of them were just plain ugly, but the HP that he ended up buying looked really sharp.

It had a glossy black outer shell to it, and certain areas buttons around the keyboard lit up blue. There was a slot to store the remote that came with it, since it was a Media Centre PC. It had an AMD Turion 64 x2 chip, 2GB of RAM, and a 100GB HDD. Not a bad deal for $1099 Candadian. No Bluetooth though, which kinda sucks.

Anyways, I just wanted to say it was a bit of an eye opener, but I do much prefer the MacBooks.

They also had a 24" iMac in the store, but it had a Vista Beta on it.

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Was there a Black MacBook? They're a little more stealthy.

They were displaying a 24inch iMac, Bootcamped to Vista?

3. Madmic23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, no Black MacBook.

The scariest part about the 24" iMac with Bootcamp though, the guy in the store told me they accidently deleted the Mac partition, so it's a Vista only iMac! I told him that was just totally wrong!

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

This is one of the reasons I like Macs. I find PC laptops gimmicky with all the shiny surfaces, curves, and blue lights. I know it's cliché, but Apple computers are like modern art.

In fact, at San Francisco's Museum of Modern Art, they have a TiBook on display! ;)

5. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Another reason for not having them look at your PC/Mac!

:eek: Break open those restore discs ASAP.

6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

How can you delete a Mac partition in Windows? Is it even possible?

7. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

I don't agree at all with the more clutter=better design crowd at all, either. Keep it as simple as possible, I say!

8. imacintel macrumors 68000