Laptop sleeve. Good idea?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thejadedmonkey, Oct 20, 2006.

1. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Hey all. So I'm thinking about getting a sleeve for my laptop. It's a PC, but I've got a question about it.. and we're all computer users here.

Last night my laptop's lid got way scratched up. Some of the silver paint was gouged out and you can see the silver metal that's the top of the lid/screen. I'm trying to prevent any more accidental damage to this machine, but do sleeves do any real good at preventing physical damage, or are they just more for cosmetics (where I'm already screwed)?

so basically.. is a sleeve in any way useful if my laptop's already pretty scratched up?

2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I think you answered your own question.

3. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

sleeves are good for preventing scratches cause by moving your laptop to and from or in/out of bags and whatnot... you should have gotten one initially and your laptop wouldn't be scratched up as it is now... as for physical damage it won't help if you dropped the laptop.. it's protection only goes so far

4. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

It'll help stop it getting more scratched :)

Definitely get one. Also helps with selling your laptop at the end of the day.

It does give a little protection against minor bumps too.

I used my Tucano Second Skin sleeve all the time; it saved a few minor bumps and a lot of scratches then I got a shoulder bag (from Muji) with a slip-in sleeve built in, and I use that instead.

5. Rickay726 macrumors 6502

Rickay726

im looking into buying a MBP and i would definitly by a sleeve for it. if you dont mind me asking, im curious as to how you laptop got so badly scratched?

6. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Well, since you asked... and no one knows who I really am.. *shifty eyes*

I was in my friends dorm room doing work, and there's a space between the mattress and wall that's a perfect fit for my laptop, so I usually stash it there after I'm done using it until I go back to my dorm... the rubber grips on the bottom must have clung to the mattress, and the mattress must have somehow started going back and forth, scraping the lid against the cinderblock. :rolleyes: :eek:

honestly, I'm not even phased because it's a 3 year old laptop and like a year ago it was going for like $500 brand new. I haven't ever seen one go for over $200 used lately, and that's one in good condition (which mind wasn't even before this accident).

I was just wondering, would a sleeve help prevent any other damage that it might end up with, but it seems unlikely as sleeves only do cosmetics.. so yeah. thanks everyone.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

lol....that doesn't seem like the optimum place to store any kind of comptuer :)

I have the Incase 15.4'' sleeve...works great.

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Suspicious.

9. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

If you're not concerned about it, and have been taking it around for this long w/o a case, I don't see why you'd need one now.