laptop sleeve indecision

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by goodtimes5, Aug 8, 2004.

1. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I have a 12" iBook and am looking for a nice sleeve for it since it will be going in my school backpack with everything else.

I've read the MANY reviews on the MANY sleeves on the boards, but I can't decide.

I've come down to:
    Crumpler School Hymn (which I'm leaning towards)
    ZeroShock
    Tucano
    Tom Bihn Mitre (although it doesn't look too great; I like the vertical insert though [not big deal since 12" can fit vertical or horizontal in backpack])

2. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

If you carry anything else in your backpack than your notebook (who doesn't?) you should get ZeroShock. The padding on it is as good as described on that Shinza.com page. And I think it will relieve some pressure put on by you and other stuff in your backpack as well.
    I have considered other sleeves, but they don't seem to have the padding that I desired like ZeroShock.

I recommend the Black over Grey. I got grey and I can see it getting dirty soon if I am not careful as to what I place in my backpack.

3. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

The School Hymns from Crumpler look wickedly sharp! Plus, they are semi-rigid using plastic inserts or sheets. The advantage of this is that the case can re-direct more easily forces from various directions.

4. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I take it you do not want a specialized backpack? I use the RadTech skin which protects from scuffs very well and a Targus backpack with a specialized padded and protected compartment for my powerbook. It works very well, and I can even carry other items with no worries. It even has an iPod pocket.

5. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Forget the Tom Bihn Mitre - go for the Tom Bihn Monolith. It fits in your backpack and has a hard outer shell to protect your baby from books and drops. At the same time, the inside is thick foam to cushion it!

6. Pomme macrumors member

This probably isn't helping your indecision any, because it seems we've all got different opinions! I'll make things even more difficult for you. ;) I got a Tucano for my iBook, and I think it's wonderful! For me, it's the perfect balance between padding and portability. It fits the iBooks oh-so-snugly, and it doesn't add that much size... meaning you can fit more in your good ol' backpack.

As for the padding, I think it's sufficient. It's not the most heavily padded product on the market, mind you... but unless you're carrying bricks in your bag, you should be fine! The iBook is a pretty durable litte machine, and the Tucano protects against everyday wear and tear. I'm obsessive compulsive when it comes to my computer, but even I don't have any problem sliding my laptop in among my books with the Tucano on.

Plus, it's relatively light on the pocketbook, all things considered! :)

7. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

If you don't like the ZeroShock, you should go for the Tucano sleeve. I think those are the best sleeves at a moderate price level.

8. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Oops, I didn't realize you had an iBook - I thought it was a PowerBook. In that case, you should be ok with almost anything. The iBooks are much more durable.

9. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

The Gap

Gap, the clothes store, has a very nice laptop bag/sleeve for $19.50. Its great because it has a small handle, and one big pocket, so it can be used as a case alone, but it is also very thin and small and can be used as a sleeve as well. It is plain black, and doesn't scream laptop bag. It is made of a durable neoprene kind of thing, it feels like a SCUBA suit. Plus it is cheaper than most other sleaves, and has a perfect fit for 12" Apples. It's a great bag.

10. sigamy macrumors 65816

Tucano Second Skin came today

I had the same list as you, minus the Tom Bihn. I ordered the Tucano and just received it today. I guess I'm happy with it, but I would not say that it offers "padding" or any real protection. There is a bit of padding but this sleeve is more for scratch protection.

My iBook will rarely leave my house so the Tucano was a good solution for me mainly due to its low price and form-fitting design. I hate bulky cases.

If you will be traveling often and putting the iBook in a backpack I would recommend the ZeroShock or Crumpler. The Crumpler is expensive but it looks very nice and the fit seems perfect. I haven't seen many pics of the ZeroShock but people seem happy with it also.

The Tucano is really a second skin--it will protect from minor scratches and bumps but if you happen to drop the ibook I don't think you'll get much more added benefit with the skin on or off. Just my opinion, I've read others here say the opposite. The fit is good, nice and tight except for the back corners and back edge where you can squeeze a bit of air. And you can not use the ibook in the Tucano, the zippers only go down about 2/3 of the way down so you'll have to remove the ibook to use it.

I can post pictures if you want.

If you are on a budget and only want scratch protection the Tucano is a great bargin. If you want more bump and drop protection you are going to have to spend more and pick between the other sleeves out there.

Good luck.

11. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

If it's not a hassle, please. I only need to see how thick the sleeve is once it is on the laptop.

Does the Tucano have two zippers or one? Two makes it very easy to just slide the laptop in and out of a backpack.

I love the Crumpler for it's looks but the price is a bit hefty just for a sleeve that offers nothing other than scratch-protection.

12. Bonnie macrumors member

I have the Zeroshock for my Powerbook. It is pretty good. It is extremely light and somewhat thin, but the memory foam type of material seems somewhat durable. It has two zippers so I can slide the Powerbook in and out of my backpack easily.

I was undecided between the Zeroshock and Crumpler as well. I think I would have been happy with either one as every Crumpler product I've owned has pleasantly surprised me.

13. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

For the sturdiest sleeve on the market, check out Waterfield. I've had one for 3+ years and they're pretty much indestructable. Good padding. I also like the fact that it has a simple velcro latch--makes for easy access (but holds it in securely).

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

15. knicksfan58 macrumors member

i have a marware case for my pb and would reccomend it

16. lasuther macrumors 6502a

incase

I have an incase sleeve and love it.

lasuther

17. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I've decided on the ZeroShock. I read that the thickness of an iBook with the Zeroshock becomes 1.6", and since the thickness of an iBook is already 1.35", I'd figure this is probably the equivalent of a Tucano Second Skin. The Tucano does not offer drop protection while the ZeroShock does. And the Crumpler is too expensive for me, but damn it looks good.

Thanks for your help.

18. sigamy macrumors 65816

My pics didn't come out. You are right though. The iBook with the Tucano is about 1.5 - 1.6 inches.

I think the ZeroShock is a good middle ground. For true sleeve type cases with no handles/pockets/etc my view is this:

1) On a budget and don't need drop protection: Tucano Second Skin, about $21 shipped.

2) Have a bit more to spend and/or want good drop protection: Shinza ZeroShock, about $38 shipped.

3) Want a very stylish sleeve with "OK" protection: Crumpler School Hymn, about $50 or more shipped.

19. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

For about the same price as the Zeroshock , you can get the Monolith - it has a plastic shell AND thick foam! What more do people WANT?:mad: :D

20. brap macrumors 68000

A size designed for the 12-inchers. Nowhere on the fit list does it say it will hold the 12" snugly... which is annoying because I really want one of those :(