laptop sleeves

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gdavid, May 8, 2004.

1. gdavid macrumors newbie

I want to get a nice protective compact sleeve for my 12inch powerbook, I have narrowed my choices down to the zeroshock sleeve from shinza.com which I can get for about NZ$87 or the STM glove which I can get for about NZ$57. Does anyone have any experience with either of these sleeves or any suggestions on other similar ones. I am limited in my choices because postage to NZ almost doubles most of the prices from the US. I like the Zeroshock because it 'looks' a lot more protective and I can't seem to find any reviews on the STM sleeve but does it really deserve the $30 higher price.

2. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Hey,

I can't vouch for either of those slip cases unfortunately, but I can tell you that I use a Tucano case for my 12in Powerbook, at £17UKP- $49.50NZD. If you can find it in New Zealand, I'd highly recommend it - it keeps my Powerbook scratch free in my regular school bag, packed between books, all day around school,and countless other places. I saw it on the UK Apple store, but it's not available at the US store - I ended up getting it from Amazon marketplace after an order mix-up, so try there if you're interested.

andy.

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i have a tucano second skin, i think i got it off amazon though i have seen them other places, its really nice and i have no compliaints with it at all.

4. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

I have an incase for my ibook and really like it. It's padded enough to put in my bag and still think that my computer is being protected, but small enough to fit in my bag. I think it was $39

MP

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

You might also want to check out the sleeve that Radtech sells.

www.radtech.us

although looking at the other sleeves that everyone else has recemended, it seems a bit over priced.

6. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Another write-in candidate vote: Tucano Second Skin (though difficult to find in the states).

It's perfect. Form hugging size, just enough padding, NOT bulky at all... perfect.

7. djkny macrumors 6502

8. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I got the vertical 'boot' sleeve from spire , which slides into the 'zoom' backpack... it doesn't look as sophisticated as other sleeves, but it is perfect for when I travel. If I just wanted to carry around my PB in a more casual way, I'd probably go for one of those slick zeroshock sleeves.

9. kaylee macrumors regular

kaylee

Sometime last year, i found for my friend a padded laptop sleeve in Strandbags for $AU16 that is almost perfectly sized for a 12in notebook. I don't know if you have that store in NZ, but maybe you can try a few bag stores to see what you can find. I can't give you a link because Strandbags doesnt have a website.

10. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Crumpler also have the School Hymn which looks reasonably good for protection but is expensive...

11. Bhennies macrumors 6502

I totally agree. I just got mine last week- very high quality and received it within 3 days of original order. Nice people as well- Gary from Waterfield sent me an email asking if I was happy with the bag, etc.

12. Apmonia macrumors regular

Sleeves

The Radtech sleeve does seem a bit overpriced, until you use it. It fits my 12'' iBook perfectly and gives it enough protection while carrying it around. But that's just my 2 cents.

apmonia

13. perrymj macrumors newbie

another happy sfbags.com customer

just got my sleeve...great design, fits perfectly, and they customer service was outstanding

14. gdavid thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for that suggestion. We do have a Strandbags here but they didn't have anything. I can get the zeroshock sleeve direct from Japan for a lot cheaper, about NZ$40, but I'd still like to know if anyone here has used one before.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

16. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

has anyone mentioned tom bihn sleeves? i heard those are pretty good.

17. Bonnie macrumors member

I really like that Zeroshock sleeve and think I might get one for my new BTO 15" Powerbook. I wonder how long it will take to ship to the States?

What color are you getting? I am torn between the blue and the grey. They both look really nice.

The Radtech sleeve is a great product and very high quality, but I need a bit more impact protection for my aluminum. I'm notorius about just tossing my laptop into my backpack and going. I don't want it to get all dented and banged up.

18. gdavid thread starter macrumors newbie

I am trying to decide between the red and the grey.

I think Shinza is a US based company so they should ship quite quickly to you and you won't have to pay huge postage costs.